Were are then new builds

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
It seems to me to be a lull in the GT40 community this past year. I am just wondering if the thrill of these fallen off or it is cycle?

There are several Southern GT's before mine a few after however we have not heard from most of those chassis owners. And Tornado's there have got to be a few of those as well. Would be great to hear from the guys that have ordered the last of the Holman Moodys.

Would love to hear more stories of those actually driving their cars. How can we stir up some interest?

Neil

Supporter
It seems to me to be a lull in the GT40 community this past year. I am just wondering if the thrill of these fallen off or it is cycle?

There are several Southern GT's before mine a few after however we have not heard from most of those chassis owners. And Tornado's there have got to be a few of those as well. Would be great to hear from the guys that have ordered the last of the Holman Moodys.

Would love to hear more stories of those actually driving their cars. How can we stir up some interest?
Well, it isn't a GT40 and it was last year and maybe I posted it before--- but you asked!

Mike Pass

Supporter
There are quite a few builds here in the NW that do not post on this forum. SGTs, Tornados and scratch builds.
Cheers
Mike

Neil

Supporter
very cool sounds like she had more in her.
Yes, plenty of power- I was trying to say under 159.999 mph so I would not be disqualified in this class. I shifted from 1st to 2nd to 5th. The gearing at 7200 rpm gives me a 209 mph top speed but the engine should be capable of 7500 to 8000 rpm. The frontal area is known and the rolling resistance is minimal but the big unknown is the Cd, the drag coefficient. This is what determines how fast I can go. My estimate is somewhere around 220 mph at Bonneville on a hard salt surface; a bit more on asphalt.

Neil

Supporter
Its many ongoing builds, mine ones included, who dont do buildlogs.

morten
Let me say that creating a build log with photos & videos will be helpful to you in the future. If you share it with others on this or any forum is your choice, of course, but it will be a valuable record of just what and how you did certain things and it will be a good place to memorialize things such as vendors and part numbers.

I also am like Morton and have struggled to do a build log but we are always hear to help with pics and advice whenever we can .I have been building a car with my son for the past 3 years,see has been Iva pasted and is just out of paint

Attachments

• 876172E1-40C4-4CA6-AE43-C11DCF8C93F0.jpeg
    876172E1-40C4-4CA6-AE43-C11DCF8C93F0.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 165
Yeah, Southern, GT ,enjoyed every minute of the build ,spent lots of time re-creating difficult to find parts ,ensuring a quality build that closely represents the mark was the brief and I think we just about managed to do that

I know I have not made much progress on mine this year, barely touched the project since June other than some parts procurement.
Trying to pick life back up and get stuff moving post Covid has been a challenge. I seem to spend far to much time on the computer, and the last thing I want to do at present is sit down and write a build diary.

bring on 2023.

I'm building a Roaring Forties, but I haven't posted a build log here.
It's just easier to post it on Facebook. Click photo, upload post and done.
I barely have enough time to work on the car, without mucking around with a third party image host and posting links, etc. Maybe I'm just not tech savvy enough.
Here's a link to my build, if any one is interested.

Kyle

Supporter
I’d be curious how many projects will be up for sale or unfinished in the next few years. 2023 expected to be bad financially and some of these prices are getting out of reach to an average builder. 65-70k for an SLC/GTR, you’re looking at over 100k for a nicely built finished car.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Yeah, Southern, GT ,enjoyed every minute of the build ,spent lots of time re-creating difficult to find parts ,ensuring a quality build that closely represents the mark was the brief and I think we just about managed to do that
Would like to see photos of the parts you recreated, as I have been doing the same.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I get it, I work closely with a factory in China, so some of my evenings are later teleconferences. I post winding down before bed while reflecting how I will attack the problem next, or thank goodness what I did worked. These fancy phones are great tools.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I’d be curious how many projects will be up for sale or unfinished in the next few years. 2023 expected to be bad financially and some of these prices are getting out of reach to an average builder. 65-70k for an SLC/GTR, you’re looking at over 100k for a nicely built finished car.
I am glad I have purchased most of the parts I need. I still regret having to firesale my Lotus Europa TC project a year after my son was born. In hindsight probably was a good thing.

Agree.Your being generous with 100k for a nicely built car lol. The prices are getting outrageous with everything. Just my engine was 38k thats insane. These builds today are now going WELL into the 6 figures SMH.and im talking about home built cars, cant even imagine what shops cost

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I would rather spend my retirement money on this project and have to work at Home Depot or the local DIY when I am old rather than the stock market or the government get it. Besides the social security notice they send says I will be getting X amount a month. Sorry to say I don't believe them one bit when they give SS benefits to non citizens who just arrived here last week. UGGGHHH! got to get back to work now.

We finished our build this year.
There was no build log as we decided early on to keep it out of public. Not for the fellows overhere on this forum, but for all the others that just can lurk overhere. We had something to hide for some people with a genuine reason.
But some did know about it and we got all the help from several here to make it all happen.

On GT40's is a lot going on behind the scenes using private messaging.

Back