What are you doing to your gt40 this winter?

Tired of looking at the same threads day after day?
What are you doing with your GT40 this winter? Any new additions? Maybe get rid of the VW horns or improve your lights. It is a good time to check for leaks using a drop light inside the cabin. Found one around the windshield arm (a big one).

I finally ordered a new evaporator/heater core box for my '70 MACH1. I've lost the original rebuilt factory unit for the past 6 years. Yeah I can't believe it. $1100....

I've got new rotors, pads, and SS flex line for my Porsche to install. But that suspended concrete floor is cold.

So what is in your garage to do?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Considering a high quality repaint. I go back and forth due to the cost involved but figure why not have the exact livery you want. Also, trying to decide if I want to come up with something original or recreate one of the two liveries I really like. Some mechanicals are planned as well.

1.Adding power steering
2.Replacing the front wind screen as a result of no. 1
3.Adding security system.
4.Installing keyless door openers and poppers
5.Adding some new color(s) to the car.
6.Getting a final tune up and dyno time(time and money permitting)

Bill

Absolutely nothing, for once.

I have been steadily improving the car for the past five years and she is in really good shape now. The past five winters have been full of transaxle swaps, suspension swaps, rebuilding and improving pedals boxes, brakes, wiring, heads and manifolds, etc.

She's really in fantastic condition now. It's nice to go out into the garage with a glass of wine and see a really well sorted car. I enjoy the fixing and sorting and improving part of it all, but eventually I want to "get there" with any particular car.

Great to have the opportunity to celebrate the small milestones once in a while, catch your breath and just enjoy the driving part of it all.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Mike, What livery are you thinking of?
I have a few ideas in mind. Like the Gulf livery but everyone does that. Really like Martin's Linden green livery too but not sure I want to copy or rip off someone else's livery. We shall see.

I'm wondering what Watkins is going to do to his car over the winter of 2013?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Is this thread supposed to be limited to SPF cars only?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
? Just trying to offer you encouragement to finally get your car finished up after all these years. You only live once, drive that thing!

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
What are you doing with your GT40 this winter?
So what is in your garage to do?

Honestly? I plan to drive mine to work on Fridays when it is dry and the local Pantera club is planning a track day sometime in the near future.
I'm sorta' in a 'it ain't broke, don't fix it, just drive it' mode.

:laugh:

I will admit though to having fun driving the GT500 everyday to work.

FWIW,
Kirby

Is this thread supposed to be limited to SPF cars only?

It doesn't appear that it is.....

Things to do....
Put car on lift and clean. Add slippage marks. Check for loose hardware.

Garage stuff....
Remove two 400w metal-halide lights and replace with two T8 6 lamp fixtures. Hang more artwork. Continue straitening clutter.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Drive, drive, drive..................

Today, I'm taking her over to Fremont for a tour of the Tesla plant.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I've had to give about half dozen dollar rides as the weather has been good, I need to start charging for them. :) Other than that I am like Kirby, if it ain't broke I'm not going to monkey with it.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
I've had to give about half dozen dollar rides as the weather has been good, I need to start charging for them. :) Other than that I am like Kirby, if it ain't broke I'm not going to monkey with it.

The real talent you have would be to charge big bucks for those much faster high rpm torque intensive pulls you do at triple digit speeds, and then comes the crescendo at the end of the ride as you do your four-wheel slide, this-a-way and that, and come to a stop somewhere mostly off the road. You could hand them some prayer beads after you make sure their 6-point harness is tight. Tell 'um not to scream 'cause it makes you nervous. And then it's off you go. Oh, and don't forget to collect the money before the ride starts. People don't mind pay'n for good wholesome religious experiences.

Yea, it's money in the bank.

Last edited:
Back