What drivetrain are you using?

I've read quite a few threads with small block Chevys, Fords, LSxs, Lexus V8, but what are the OTHER engines that are being installed?

And what transmission are you using?

I am using a Toyota V6 with a G50/20 6speed LSD. It will be twin turbo later and should have in the 500-550rwhp range when done. At first it will be NA and have like 225-250rwhp, so the lowest hp SLC I have seen.

Alex,
Step over to the dark side. There's a NA 4 or 6 rotor, peripheral ported Rotary out there waiting just for you! If your PoC motor ever shows up, then swap them out and sell off the old motor. You know you really Wa..Wa..Wa..Want one. :D

In addition to what CorbaJet has stated....you tube (for the sound) a 3 or 4 rotor engine. The sound is worth the investment alone IMHO. Sorry for the slight thread drift Gents.

Hi forum. My first post concerns the Ricardo tranny. SLC wiki site says almost impossible to find but all the builds I read say they've got this one...what's the deal? Thanks and I look forward to posting a lot as I get closer to pulling the trigger on purchasing the coupe.

They used to be available, until the supply ran out. Now they are much harder to find. Getting one from a recycler or personally-owned wrecked vehicle is probably the only way to source one now.

Ricardo never sold them direct to the public, Ford is holding on to the very few they have left, and the person who had a factory pipeline of sorts passed away.

Thanks very much Will. I think the G50 will be easier to buy from the links on SLC wiki links and I plan on something below 500 horses for sure.

Thanks a lot Roger. I went to their website and their transmissions look interesting. The best thing is that they're based near San Antonio which is only a 5 hour drive or so from where I live in Texas. I could easily go down and visit them firsthand and get an idea of what they can do. Thanks again!

Are there any expert opinions on the G96-?? (Porsche model 996-997 trans)? I'm still on the fence as to which trans to use. I'll only be running a LSx at 400-450 hp.

The only point I'd add to those trying to figure out what transaxle to buy is that you need to price out all the components you'll need, beyond just the transaxle. Clutches, starters, etc can be very model specific, highly consumable, and expensive enough to make an affordable option much less affordable, and an already expensive option even more expensive.

Hey there everyone,

Justin, for your HP and Torque I think that the 996 street car gearbox inverted with LSD would work quite well. However keep in mind that if you make upgrades to your HP and Torque in the future this may not remain the case.

Cost on a complete kit is actually quite reasonable for what you actually get. South of $11K which all said and done I think makes this one of the most affordable transaxle options out there. Artgirl is right though, and it is certainly not something that you want to forget while budgeting everything out. There are certainly gearbox options out there that after you piece everything else together are not quite the deal that they originally seemed.

Hope that this is helpful,

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work

Has griffin started delivering units yet? Also has anyone seen a price list? This may have been mentioned before but I havent seen it yet. I dont doubt their ability to produce the product.......I just dont know about availability at this time.

Im still thoroughly confused on the G50 gearboxes. Do they all work? Seems like there are a number of different ones like 50/01,02,03,04,05,50,52 and maybe more but I'm no expert. I have heard that the 50 and 52 are stronger but thats just from reading around the forums. Im also looking for 500-550 hp with TQ in the 400's so I'm curious if any of those will handle the abuse.

Yah, I've been looking at that site but I didn't see it mention what engines they can be mated with (LS series in my case) I noticed that they have some nice clutch kits and accessories for work with LS motors.

Hey there everyone,

Erik here at GBox. I realize that there are quite a bit of options out there for transaxles, and there seems to be some confusion as to what will work for your particular engine HP and Torque combination. I would be happy to try to help clear the water, so to speak, if you want to give me a call or ask specific application questions. A lot of the options out there are going to be budget dependant but we can usually find something that will work well for most budgets.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
GBox LLC
(303) 440-8899 work

Back