What type of induction to use?

Hello,

I'm new the world of GT40's and am going to be asking a lot of questions. Just a little background, I've done several resto-mods on '57's, Camaros, Classic Mustangs, etc. I've built a few rice burners including a Nissan 300Z twin turbo with over 600 screamin horses. What a ride.

Anyway I'm going to purchase a GT40 in the next few months, but still haven't decided 100% which kit to purchase. I'm trying to cover all aspects of the build before I dive in.

What is the preferred intake system with a GT40 replica? What is correct for nostalgia? What can be used without being looked down on by hard core purists? What will fit? Has anyone used an 89-93 Mustang type Sequential EFI system? I'm real familiar with those, but would not be opposed to some exotic EFI system. I wouldn't be opposed to a carb.

I'm just looking for ideas. Feel free to throw anything my way. I am not easily offended so you can't hurt my feelings. What a great forum.

Thanks,
Shane Lowrance

How about these
6990359-a6d9-028001E0-.jpg

6990361-ec1b-028001E0-.jpg

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: Wayne Presley ]

G

This is an easy decision.
A big ole Holley is period correct and
inexpensive...but a little boring.

If you can afford it, injection is awesome.

MikeD

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: MikeD ]

Damn you Wayne! That's just too pretty. I was going to spend a nice relaxing day with the wife and kid but noooo you had to go post pictures so now I have to go back out to the garage.
John

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I asked a question like this a while back and got what I thought was a very good piece of advice from Greg Heacock, who has restored one of the (few) RML cars, am I right Greg? He said, get the car debugged and the suspension set up using a 4bbl and then look at Webers or injection. Which makes sense to me; it gets you going right away and someone will always want the 4bbl and manifold setup when and if you're done with it. I will probably try an Autolite 4100, there are several in the know who sya it is the best performance 4bbl for a small-block Ford.
Good luck, and welcome to the final resting place of most of your disposable income for the next several years...

Shane,

We went with the Holley 750HP on top of our 351C. Thought long and hard about Fuel Injection, but decided to go with simple and easy to tune.

I'll be the first one to say that Wayne makes it awful tough when he posts those sexy pictures. You cannot beat the look of Webers.

I need a cigarette.

Keith

G

Jim Rosenthal,
I was very surprised to see that you mentioned the 4100 ford carb. I have about four of these carbs and they work great. I covert them to the electric choke, and there easy to overhaul. I have one that came of a 1966 mustang, if I buy a GT40 I will use it. I believe that there better than a holley and they dont leak. I thought they had long been forgotten.

Well, this is what I did. It is an inline Autolite 4V on a CrossBoss manifold. I am very happy with it. If you are just getting started though, do the simple thing. Use a Holly or a Demon carb on a Edelbrock manifold. Get your car working, then NEXT SEASON, when you have nothing better to do, jump into a complicated induction system. By then you will have a 4V performance baseline to try to improve upon. Greg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p5bd6cdcb7fdd79c8fc4e20240276749f/fe1f6652.jpg

EFI gets my vote. Infinitely tunable with a laptop, precise fuel delivery. The ECU also does the ignition timing. Here's what mine looked like after some polishing and powder coating.

8447325-4c81-02000181-.jpg

8447301-c30a-02000181-.jpg

Dave those are beautiful. Who is the manufacturer of the varrious components? and was it hard to program?

Thanks

The throttle bodies and filter are from TWM. The filter is actually an ITG that is made specially for TWM. The manifold is a Redline from Austrailia. I couldn't find one in the US for a 48 IDA pattern to fit Cleveland 2V heads. I purchased the throttle bodies unassembled so I could powder coat them. The powder cures at 400 degrees F. I didn't want to subject the bearings and moving parts to that much heat.

I'm using a Haltec ECU and doing direct fired ignition. Manipulating the maps in a Haltech is pretty easy. It's mostly a graphical interface using bars to represent injector open time (y axis) vs engine load (x axis) every 500 rpm. Engine load is either MAP sensor or throttle position. You watch the O2 sensor reading at each rpm and load, and adjust the bar at each point accordingly. The ECU will also do closed loop control using O2.
I've set up a 4 cyl engine before by just driving around putting different loads on the engine and adjusting away with the laptop. This beast is a bit different. There is no hope of tuning it while running on the road because of the amount of HP it will make. I have a dyno session scheduled in March to have both the fuel and ignition maps set up.
The Haltech was about 1/3 the cost of a comparable Motec setup. It is good enough for the kind of service I need.

Dave

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Malcolm:
I read about the Autolite 4100 in a book I bought on small block Ford performance. There is an outfit in New York State called Pony Carburetors, I called them and they said they do a lot of Holley work for folks that want them but they really like the 4100 for Ford performance. And, I thought, well, everyone's got a Holley it would be nice to fool with something different.
I am a fan of carburetors that don't have float-bowl seams, from my boating experiences. Sooner or later, they all seem to leak if there are separate castings. I had good luck with Edelbrocks, which I think are like a Carter design updated, and very easy to adjust the metering without taking them all apart. The difference in power and mileage going to Edelbrocks from Holleys on two 454 marine engines was astonishing.
Greg, every picture I see of your car looks better. What an effort! You must be very proud of it.

Back