What we get a ENTIRE forum for transxles and no posts??????

OK, Here is one flimsy question.

I am about to get a trans out of a 911 (from 60s) for free!

Can someone help out on info on this trans?!

Serial number 905-301.101.1R How much torque can this trans take? It is 4sp

And YES, I am hijacking your tread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Ah ha!

searchsign.JPG

G

Heh heh! Ze admin guy has enabled freee poastings on zis tred!!

What a nobbur!

Now! We 've sum funs, no?

Heh heh.

G

Freedom!! From (Kenny) loggins

Zis is wot dey wont!

Freedom of de '40 sight!

No maw loggins!

Yay!

Re: Freedom!! From (Kenny) loggins

Ron,
Is the new transaxle forum only for people who want transaxles or can people who already have transaxles, post there, or people who may have transaxles but are in different stages of build, or for people who have their transaxles completely apart and have no idea how to put them back together, or people who can put them back together but they do not shift properly? Can you be more specific? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin

Dan, it is for all Transaxle stuff, no matter what. Those that know me from way back know transaxles are a pet peeve of mine. I think there is too much bench racing going on with transaxles and not enough emperical data to make heads or tails of it. Besides, useage patterns differ so that one persons' "hard on it" might not be anything to another. Anyhow, got a transaxle question, this is the forum!

Ron

PS-Yes, I'm just giving some a hard time on the titles, they can change them to anything they like! You know Faili is a Forum Infidel of the 1st order.

Praise be upon the Moderator, For he knows me too well.

can we have a section for Infidels? I MUST be the moderator for that. No one is more qualified /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Also can we have a forum on Jesting or Jesters? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifOr is that Jousting? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ron,
Is the new transaxle forum only for people who ,,,

[/ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if Ron is going to then add a "used transaxle forum also ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

What we get a ENTIRE forum for transaxles and no posts??????

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask:

I want to build a transaxle from scratch. I have a bunch of old Pepsi cans that I can melt down and use for the housing. Does anyone have drawings? Can I use Babbitt bearings? And what should I make the gears out of? Will pewter work OK, or should I use nylon for noise reduction? I want it to be good for at least 600 ft-lbs of torque.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Re: What we get a ENTIRE forum for transaxles and no posts??????

Steve,I dont think the metal in Pepsi cans would be much chop.
The metal in Coors cans is much better and more fun to aquire.I would make the gears out of potatoes rather than pewter. Potatoes might seem a strange material to use but they are easy to cut and when left to dry out in the sun for several weeks become hard enough to take at least 600 to 700 Ftlbs. Good luck with your project please post lots of pictures.

Re: What we get a ENTIRE forum for transaxles and no posts??????

Pete is right about the Coors cans. The alcohol does a better job or "seasoning the metal" without all of that caffeine. Stay away from Budweiser cans, as they will give your trans a bad headache. If your going to use potatoes as gears be sure to use prune juice as a lubricant. Prune juice has a reputation for making things run clean.

Re: What we get a ENTIRE forum for transaxles and no posts??

Living in Utah, beer cans are hard to come by. What about Fosters cans then? Won't need nearly as many of 'em.

Potatoes... Of course! What was I thinking???

I think we need to stick with light/lite beer cans to keep the weight down and have a better cg location.

Someone told me the original transaxle housings were made from Irn Bru cans. Can anyone confirm? I'd like to keep my transaxle as close to original as possible.

Back