What's it worth

Hi,
I was over a friend's shop talking about me buying a GT40 kit. When he tells me in the back corner on the floor of his shop is a 1964 - 427 motor that's good. [not a side oiler] It's been back there for twenty years and he says someday I'll get to it... I think he might let it go. Can anybody tell me what it's worth and would it add much value to my future build.
Thanks, John

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think it would not add much value, but you never know. If you put it into a 427 style car, it would add more. FE blocks are not that easy to find, from what I understand, so it might add some. I think the real reason to do it is if you've always wanted a 427 GT40- a Mark II. You won't be able to get the proper transaxle for a Mark II (a T44), unless you are quite wealthy, so you'll have to go with a ZF. I think there are bellhousings for putting a ZF on the back of an FE block, but I'd certainly find out for sure before I bought the engine.

As to its not being a side-oiler, I don't think that's as big a deal. And can't that feature be added- can't the oiling system be updated for priority main oiling?

Back