Whats with all the Cobra Converts?

I cannot help noticing several familiar names who have sold their GT40's and now built/purchased Cobras, some of these guys are repeat offenders to the cobra bug, is it just because its more user friendly, easier to get in /out of etc... or more basic in engine/trans/axle .

Deane Lampe- Bill D- Mark Reid, are three I can think of off top of my head, probably lots more...

That's a good question JacMac. I know Ron McCall has jumped in feet first to race a Cobra Mustang in Nasa and used his GT40 to finance ths adventure. I think it is not practical to race a 40.

I am sure Dean is still racing, he'll probably never give that up.

I am not certain you can easily race a 40 over here without putting in gobs of safety features. Or you by an R model 40.

The folks may speak up for themselves just because you asked. I am just guessing.

Howard

Ps. JacMac - I will probably be heading to Dunedin in the Spring maybe I can swing by your way.

Not a problem Howard, send me a PM a couple of weeks out from your trip & I will give you ph, address etc, we are only a couple of hours/100miles south..

Re the GT40/Cobra thing, I know those particular guys all had various issues to overcome on their builds that probably took the gloss off the projects, but I dont want to put words in their mouths so to speak of what was the real clincher in going back to the Cobra's etc

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
GT40 --Starting this thing up is begging for some WOT therapy ‪GT40 tough sound‬‏ - YouTube
and with all the road guardians about these days (in Aust.) it ain't all that much fun -- so we have to book track time. Its a great car for purposely getting from A to B quickly.
Cobra -- Much more fun --plenty vision, wind in the hair, a ton of grunt, you can drive flat out between traffic lights, pick up the grand kids from school etc, people actually want talk to you , especially if its red -- much more fun .

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I'm finishing my third Cobra. I keep coming back to them after my GT40 build. Something about the open air and the blat of the sidepipes. Cobra and GT40, two unique experiences not to be missed.

Just finished my 6th Cobra which is a Carbon Fiber car with Keith Craft 496 all aluminum FE in it. I had a GTD GT40 between my 4th and 5th Cobra around 2004....Lot of friends here in Texas with Cobras although I have to admitt been thinking about another GT40 again..They both are very cool cars to own...

I'm driving the COBRA for now while working on the GT40, I think I'll have a hard time parting with the Cobra once the GT40 is on the road. As for now I still have a hard time deciding if I'm going to take the Cobra or the Buell once I add the GT40 I may have to submit this to the dilemma category.

Back