Which kit?

I have been researching kits. Would appreciate insight into which kit would offer the best chance to achieve an accurate looking Mk1 with 15" wheels, 302 with 8 stack, and proper road car interior? The silver press car is the interior I have in mind.

I like the look of Tornado, RCR and CAV.
I recently found this kit but the info on the site is a little ambiguous. Anyone know anything about them?

Also wandering which kit would be the easiest to achieve road use in Australia - on a club plate. Using a 302 and 8 stack.

Thanks, Matt.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
There is also AK40 (formerly Southern GT)

Never heard of your New Zealand company, but they just popped up this year and have nothing about what the actually produce. So beware.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
There are also a couple in Australia. Roaring Forties and DRB - though this seemed to go quiet for a while I believe it still exists.

I'd like to know more about GT40 NZ. If you find out more about the company please let me know. The exchange rate seems to make this more doable for me but I definitely don't want to get into a RF type situation of the past.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
All generic info on the site and the red car with Cali plates looks real familiar, especially with the deleted license plate nook in the tail.

came up with google

Ian
I went through their website but there isn't much on history of the company, actual finished products or who is running it. It seems to me that they may not have ever had a finished product yet but they are trying to do a startup.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
A long time ago, there was a GT40NZ firm.

I have no affliation with them, nor have I any idea if the current GT40NZ does either.

There are also a couple in Australia. Roaring Forties and DRB - though this seemed to go quiet for a while I believe it still exists.
Australian local options for you are,

DRB - now Kopeli Cars i believe. (Quensland)
Roaring Forties (RF4 now) is still going (Melbourne).
Absolute Pace (Quensland).
Island Classic Cars (South Australian).
Superformance have a distributor in Melbourne
Tornado have an agent in WA I believe (Dave Stein on here i think)
CAV also have a distributor in WA
SCON replicas in Melbourne maybe as well.
There is a few others around that have molds as well, think there is about 10 sets of molds around Australia, some will need a lot of finishing to get where you want to be.
I am not sure on what the rest are doing.

Thanks for the info. Yes I was aware of some of the Aus kits and of course RF40.
The CAV cars looks good. I like the chassis/tub.
Tornado also look good.
I am trying to create something like the photos attached.

Attachments

• gt40-interior.PNG
    gt40-interior.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 166
  • large_1528891733_0f022ae41bd1f8136249e4350b211a1905b791b5.jpg
    large_1528891733_0f022ae41bd1f8136249e4350b211a1905b791b5.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 163
  • bbei0k1alb551.jpg
    bbei0k1alb551.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 160
I have been researching kits. Would appreciate insight into which kit would offer the best chance to achieve an accurate looking Mk1 with 15" wheels, 302 with 8 stack, and proper road car interior? The silver press car is the interior I have in mind.

I like the look of Tornado, RCR and CAV.
I recently found this kit but the info on the site is a little ambiguous. Anyone know anything about them?

Also wandering which kit would be the easiest to achieve road use in Australia - on a club plate. Using a 302 and 8 stack.

Thanks, Matt.

GT40 New Zealand has been around since 2000 https://web.archive.org/web/20001206215200/http://www.gt40.co.nz/ and has gone through a number of iterations we craig and I have had the domain name since 2015 and and mostly been assisting the people who have kits and need parts and have primary been buying part for the UK and Australia and sharing the container costs. We are currently building 2 cars for our selves and 2 for other people. For craig and I it can be best described as a side gig as at least in New Zealand your only ever going to make hobby income out of kit cars. If your wanting a gt40 and are happy to put the time energy and most importantly money into building on happy for you to drop by for a coffee or a beer for a chin wag. There are lots of guys in New Zealand doing small scale bespoke engineering and New Zealand has a pretty sensible approach to kit cars and hotrods with the Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association (LVVTA) who is contracted to administer modified vehicle standards and the Low Volume Vehicle certification system on behalf of the New Zealand Transport Agency. They are car enthusiasts rather than bureaucrats and provide technical advise and manuals to assist to make your kit car safe https://www.lvvta.org.nz/shop/new-zealand-car-construction-manual-full-version/ So when your building a kit car in New Zealand you do this under the supervision of a LVVTA certifier and at the end of the build if you follow their advise your issued with a LVVTA Vin Number which you can use to register it with Land Transport
Hope that clarifies things peter

Back