Windage tray - yes or no?

I am starting to get the needed parts for the 347 I plan to use when my RCR gets here next December and I will be using the Canton 15-630 oil pan (9 qt.). I doubt that my GT40 will ever see any track time, so is a windage tray needed? Any concerns about the longer stroke of the motor and the tray?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
In my opinion, I would Skip the windage tray. If the engine was to see a fair amount if high RPM use, then it would be a good idea.
Actually a 7 qt pan would be more than sufficient as well..

I'd also be looking for a better understanding of how far the pan will hang below the chassis. Tearing the pan off on road debris would ruin your day.

The Canton pans are 8" deep. From what I have found, that seems to be the standard. The additional quarts come changing the size of the "box" added to the bottom of the pan. Yep, a torn off pan would ruin my year....

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Martin,

If you are running an inverted transaxle or an original style RBT/Quaife/ZF5-DS25 pay attention to oil pan depth as the motor sits lower in the chassis. An Aviad or Armando pan would be a good choice, sumped oil pickup with trap doors and kick outs on the sides to add volume. I'd ask them about crank clearance for the 347 to be sure you're good to go.

We've had to section many pans over the years, nowadays there is more choice in road race pans. Avaid was original equipment on the GT40s btw.

Cheers
Ian

Thanks for the comment. I am using a Quaife transaxle and Canton did say that their pan will work with a 347 stroker. I have asked Fran about any clearance issues with an 8" deep pan. We shall see.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Windage trays are pretty inexpensive and have been proven to 'up' the horsepower at least 'a bit' on any given engine from mild to wild (do a search if you doubt that). In really high output 'mills', the h.p. difference can be pretty dramatic.

So, if there's sufficient clearance available, why not install one 'just because'? It certainly won't prove to be a detriment. (I've always had one installed on the engines I've had built.)

'Just my two cents.

I agree with you and will be installing one. My reluctance is that the tray bolts to the main caps and I really did not want to mess with the main caps on a new engine with a 3 year warranty. I can see the engine builder saying that it was my fault since I removed and replaced 4 cap bolts if/when the engine has an issue. ANY excuse to push the blame elsewhere. Still, I will risk it and put one on - its only 4 insignificant little bolts to swap out.

I did get confirmation from Fran that the Canton pan will work fine with his RCR chassis. Now it just needs to get here.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I agree with you and will be installing one. My reluctance is that the tray bolts to the main caps and I really did not want to mess with the main caps on a new engine with a 3 year warranty. I can see the engine builder saying that it was my fault since I removed and replaced 4 cap bolts if/when the engine has an issue. ANY excuse to push the blame elsewhere. Still, I will risk it and put one on - its only 4 insignificant little bolts to swap out.

'Simple way to avoid any windage tray-related warranty issue: have your engine builder install it himself. ;-)

Yep, I thought of that, but if I purchase an engine thru Summit, I am not sure that it will be possible. A phone call should be able to answer that question - same with the pan and pick up. Although the pan and pick up would seem to be less of a warranty related concern if there was a problem.

That seems a little too easy. I think they could tell if you swapped pan, pick up, and tray. As well as the 4 main cap bolts.

Back