Wiring routing

Have any of your builds utilized the fuel tank pass thru as a route for the infinity cable, powertrain wiring etc? I'm at this juncture and am contemplating the best procedure. Thanks

Michael Fling

Supporter
I only passed shift cables. I was concerned about electrical "stuff" through fuel tank. I have no idea if that was a legitimate concern?

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Shouldn't be of to much of a concern, I would place the wiring in some type of stiff conduit with proper conduit nuts at each end for support. The pass thru I assume is outside the tank and not a tube welded / incorporated in the tank.

Are you running the E-brake or manual? The manual emergency brake lines generally run thru that tank hole with shiftcables. If your installing a tub, consider the space just behind the tub to run wiring. With shift and brake cables there won’t be enough room.

Just a thought.

Rich - depends what else you plan on stuffing through that hole. The shifter cables are pretty stiff. I've got a manual battery cut-off switch located in the cabin and I have 2x 0 gauge wire going through my pass-thru as well. Between my positive cables and shifter cables, there's not much room for anything else to pass without risk of getting pinched. I ran my wires along the side pods. As Bill suggests, installing some type of conduit will make running wires forward easier if you find you need to do so.

Prior to removing my Infinity system I'd run all my wires down one side pod.

It's not an issue to run electrical wiring through the tank pass-thru so long as there's no risk of abrasion leading to shorting at that point.

I will be using an Estopp brake ( with some trepidation after Cams post!) I do believe with proper insulation installed it will be ok to run the wiring down the center spine. With the interior tub and separate upper center console it would seem to allow easier access for future mods that would require wiring to the rear (nitrous!.....just kidding). Thanks to my fellow sojourners on a most excellent adventure BUILDING AN SLC!

Howard Jones

Supporter
How about this idea, I ran one down both sidepods. If you want to add wires latter you just pull them through.

Attachments

• HPIM1550.jpg
    HPIM1550.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 331
  • HPIM1553.jpg
    HPIM1553.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 288
  • HPIM1554.jpg
    HPIM1554.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 307
  • HPIM1555.jpg
    HPIM1555.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 296
Howard

Do yourself a favor and set the main body on the car and run a test. Try running another wire with about ten wires or more in that tube. Try different gauges. I find reaching that exit point with the body on, can be challenging dependent of course on where you put everything else. I like the idea.

Are you running an interior tub?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dan, my car is a track car so it does not have a interior to speak of. I have been running the car for two years now so I know that this approach works. I have added several different wires and sets of wires to both sides. I have proposed this solution as a concept. The basic idea is to run conduit down the sidepods so that wires can be added without taking everything apart over and over. The entrance and exit points would be different depending on how the car is constructed.

This may be more useful for a street car than mine as a matter of fact. My car has a very limited electrical system. The more you have the more it may need to serviced or modified later. Having everything buried in the sidepods and being unable to get to it later without pulling the car apart would be a nightmare on a car with a expensive paintjob and an extensive custom interior. It has to be made to work on and that means being able to change parts without taking the whole car apart including the wiring harness. Ask yourself how you are going to repair a harness it if it burns up? I just pull mine out, rewire it, and pull it back in.

Rich, I use a heavy gauge wire and push it through, tape the new wire on the end, and pull it back. I have pulled 4 - 14 gauge wires at a time with out any trouble. A steel electricians snake could be used, but its only 5 feet long and I don't have one.

That's my 2c's for what it is worth.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Personally I wouldn't run anything else but the shifter cables in fuel tank pass thru. I treat my tank as a servicable item and don't want any extra hassles of getting it out if need be. Plus the tank should be allowed to move/flex slightly and that movement might not be good for any electrical cabling.

Hey Howard

If my wire burns up, I will have an SLC for sale.....cheap. LOL I agree with your statement. I'm using the Infinity Box system so I added some extra power slots in back with access slots on the master up front in case I add something. Not sure what the current configuration is .

Dan, my car is a track car so it does not have a interior to speak of. I have been running the car for two years now so I know that this approach works. I have added several different wires and sets of wires to both sides. I have proposed this solution as a concept. The basic idea is to run conduit down the sidepods so that wires can be added without taking everything apart over and over. The entrance and exit points would be different depending on how the car is constructed.

This may be more useful for a street car than mine as a matter of fact. My car has a very limited electrical system. The more you have the more it may need to serviced or modified later. Having everything buried in the sidepods and being unable to get to it later without pulling the car apart would be a nightmare on a car with a expensive paintjob and an extensive custom interior. It has to be made to work on and that means being able to change parts without taking the whole car apart including the wiring harness. Ask yourself how you are going to repair a harness it if it burns up? I just pull mine out, rewire it, and pull it back in.

Rich, I use a heavy gauge wire and push it through, tape the new wire on the end, and pull it back. I have pulled 4 - 14 gauge wires at a time with out any trouble. A steel electricians snake could be used, but its only 5 feet long and I don't have one.

That's my 2c's for what it is worth.

You can always leave a "fish wire" in the conduit to easily pass new wires. Just attach a new fish wire to the bundle you are passing so you have one for the next time (always kept fish lines in our masts to run halyards etc.)

Back