X- pipe vs crossover ?

We are ready to build our first gt- 40 set of headers and exhaust, i would like some opinions {we all have them i know} on the bennifits of either going with an x-pipe 3.5 inch in and out, without the crossing over of the headers or crossing them over without the x-pipe. The motor is a high compression full roller racing 427 sbf. with a z/f I know the crossover sounds amazing, and I am not sure of the x-pipe. Technology has changed but that doesn't always mean things are better....talk to me guys...M

Mike Pass

Supporter
One factor would be the space available after the collector on a GT40. There is plenty of space for an X pipe on a saloon so no problem there. On a GT40 the space at the back to get an effective silencer (muffler) set up is very limited. We all have problems meeting the db levels at trackdays. Why they went with the crossover on the race cars I don't know but they did use slim megaphones after the collectors so I guess they had thought about flow and tuned lengths etc. The megaphones with crossover really do sound good so maybe go with what is known to give a good raspy sound. Maybe the x pipe setup will be a bit more woofly in sound?
Cheers
Mike

Mike I have seen that video before and thank you I just watced It again and again and again[still love it] That is the sound we all love and expect from a 40. I just moched up the x-pipe with the mufflers[ if we can call them that] from schoenfeld and room is not a problem. The thread that Tom sent me to was great from the tech side maybe the best I have seen yet! The x-over headers will be more difficult to make, I am not worried about that. The x-pipe headers, although easier to make and easier to remove what will they sound like? I am not sure will make more or less power. My shop opens at 8am I guess we will look and decide then, unless a light bulb goes on telling me the direction to go. I think maybe the only way to tell for sure would be a dyno run of both[ i have no dyno ] I consider myself a purist when It comes to our replicas this Is why I am having great difficulty with this one! M

Back