ZF about to restart spare part fabrication?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Carlos

Sorry but the transmission in the picture is not a transaxle.

Also a few years back I worked at a company who bought gears from ZF (Bulldozer / earthmoving stuff)
Anyway I got talking to them hoping they would resurect the GT40 transmission project but they said they could not as they sold all the tooling to RBT and had an agreement to not remanufacture the product.

Of course there may have been a time limit on the agreement and things change - but that was the position about 6 years back

Ian

Hello Ian,

Carlos reffers to the latest parragraph of the article. which clearly states that carlos indeed is right.

Das ZF 5 DS 25 wurde in den 60er und 70er Jahren im Ford GT 40, BMW M1, De Tomaso Panthera, Maserati Bora, Matra MS 640, Isdera Erator GT, Mercedes Benz C 111, und vielen weiteren Modellen verbaut und ist eines der ZF Sport- und Renngetriebe schlechthin. „Auch für das ZF 5 DS 25 planen wir in Kürze wieder die wichtigsten Verschleißteile wie Synchron-, Lager- und Dichtungssätze und voraussichtlich auch Kegeltriebe aufzulegen.

the red part translates into:

-
Also for the "ZF 5 DS 25" we are planning within a short period, to have the most important replacement parts like: Synchro's, bearings, seals and gaskets and in the future also gears, availeble again.
-

so it seems that the agreement with RBT is not in the way of these plans, nore does it state wether ZF is producing these parts themselves or that RBT is doing it for them.

They however do not mention case castings so one will not be able to build up complete transmission from new parts. with only about 3000 units produced this might be a problem.
Then again sandcasting a housing would not cost a fortune if a pattern is made using rapid prototyping.

grtz Thomas

Last edited:
yes Thomas, thx for the explanation, I should have clarified this while posting...My mistake, so sorry for the confusion...

I agree the casting is the smallest issue they might have...I think licensing is the biggest...but I would love to the the transmission coming back and make it available and affordable to a broader audience....

Back