ZF Clutch and shifter conversion for RF

John B

Temp Selling Pass
I'm converting my RF40 from the Audi transaxle to a ZF transaxle and need to know what shifter and clutch set up will work best for my application. The car is set up for left hand drive with the shifter in the middle.. I have all the parts form RBT I just need the shifter. Or can I use the same shfter that comes with the Audi setup?

Yes Oliver needs help too!

Regards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

AFAIK -

Standard ZF shifter should work - like from a Pantera or M1.
Standard Ford clutch should fit OK as well. I'm surprised
RBT doesn't have a shifter - they should.

As always, I could be a wrong and welcome any corrections.
Try CAV Canada's Ian Clark - they put a ZF in their car as
an option.

Ian

Oliver

Ross Nicol has done this to his RF. Oh wait... in another thread you said "Ross you can take out the trash and clean up the dog s@#$t!"
Are you planning on running the ZF oriented the same as it is in the Pantera, or are you getting the R&P flipped to run it GT40 style?
I ask because this will alter your engine crank height by as much as 7". Either way I think it is going to take some fabricating to get in.

Oliver,
I thought your RF kit was on order.
If so why not just order it set up for a ZF from the start ???

John B

Temp Selling Pass
RF only comes with the Audi Set up. Unless sombody knows somthing that I don't know!
I will try to ignore silly comments from silly people!

Best regards
Oliver

Oliver,

I am being totally serious - the ZF has a shift pattern that
is not very common - 1st gear is down and to the left, then
a standard H pattern for 2 - 5. Your best bet is to find
a ZF shifter. RBT or PI Motorsports would be good places
to look, as well as any ZF expert. Since you have the right
bellhousing (similar to the one ERA uses I am sure), you can
use a regular Ford 10.5 in clutch. Linkage from the shifter
to the transaxle might have to be custom fit, but since the
Pantera and M1 have similar set ups, it should not be too
tough to do. Again, anyone with good Pantera experience
would have a wealth of knowledge.

Before RF moved production to South Africa, when you placed
your order, you could inquire about using alternative parts
such as newer mod motors (RF has done), ZF transaxles (they
could have done this if asked) etc. Not sure how it would
work now, and would cost extra regardless for RF's R&D.

Ross Nicol has a pretty good thread about installing a ZF
in his RF, and Simon Hameka has some info regarding installing
a Porsche G50/50.

Good luck.

Ian

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hey Oliver your answer to John was fairly acidic. There was nothing wrong with his comment and maybe if you asked RF they may set your chassis up to take the ZF.That line you used " best for my application" I wouldn't respond to either as subjectivity doesn't allow a definitive correct answer.All I can do is pass on to you what I fitted to my car.I have the 10.5" Ford clutch and Mcleod internal thrust bearing.You need to modify the nose to fit the thrust bearing back against the bell housing and pin the hoses back too.This is to make sure the pressure plate bolts don't chew through the hoses.It's very tight in there.Moving on to the shifter I have right hand drive and shift so I had to change the ZF cross shaft to come out the right hand side.On Panteras the shift comes out the left and maybe this makes it easier to fabricate the rods up to the centre shift.As Ian has indicated you have to do some research for Ideas.Do a search for my ZF into RF article as it describes all the chassis changes that I made and how I went about it including problems I think.Hope this helps.

Ross

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Thank You for the well thought out responses..Ross, I should have been more specific in regards to application. After viewing the Rf gallery I saw your motor and I am pretty much copying what you have. ie. Alum. block,heads ect..with HP around 500. This prompted me towards the ZF upgrade like yours because I knew that the Audi transaxle won't last long with hard driving.I was talking with Jerry " RF dealer in Kentucky" who is very knowlegable with the ZF transaxles and is going to help with the conversion and assures that its not a big deal to set up. Your thread was very helpful however you used the BMW ZF wich is already set up for the GT40. The standard Zf must be setup to work on the 40. I'm going to ask Robert if they can set the frame up to except the Zf. I was unaware that they will do this...If the RF will set the frame,half the battle is won! On monday, I will call RBT To find out about the shifter.

Thank you IAN and Ross For the Info..I will keep posting as I go with to let you know the progress.

Best regards

Oliver

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Ross,

Can you post a couple of close up pictures of your Zf all mounted up?ie. Linkage, frame mounts, shift linkage...thanks

regards
Oliver

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Oliver,

One of the reasons I enjoy this forum so much is that it hasn't degenerated into a high school locker room environment- people can openly ask ANY questions without feeling peer pressure or whatever to have already known the answer or feeling like it's a stupid question. People can share ideas for the sake of sharing and enjoy a thoughtful review of ideas and respectful exchange of opinions. There is an excellent feeling of camaraderie.

You do not contribute to this.

I have made a conscious effort to ignore your posts and have been hoping you'd get a clue based on some of the feedback other forum members have provided to learn some manners, or that you'd possibly go away in a few weeks after getting your rise out of annoying some people.

You take away from my enjoyment from this site and I do not like you for that. Not that you probably care though. I find your comments somewhat like the proverbial train wreck- I really don't want to read them because I don't feel as though I value what you have to say, but I still do because I am curious to see how big an ass you can make yourself look today.

Above, you make a derogatory comment toward a fellow member who was trying to earnestly help you out, when in turn it appears that you may be the one who looks "silly."

The camaraderie of which I speak is demonstrated right after that when someone else (whom you have personally insulted previously) still steps up and shares the information you are looking for. I can only imagine your response (if you would have replied at all) to the questions if the roles were reversed.

This site is an amazing vehicle for not only technical but social exchange as well. It's been said time and again, and yep I'm going to say this again: through this site I have "met" a large group of people from all around the world who I never would have known existed had it not been for our interest in GT40s, and I feel I can call them friends.

For now, you are not one of them, but you have insulted them. Get some manners, apologize to those you've insulted, do something to demonstrate some sort of social decency and that may change. Again, not that you care, but frankly I do and I wanted you to know.

I look forward to a brighter future for you.

Chris

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Cris,

1. You did not read the threads correctly. Infact, I thanked ROSS and Ian for well thought out
responses.
2. The comments were not directed towards the individuals for which I respoded to. If you read them correctly, you would have compehended that.
3. For somone that is so interested in proper communication on this forum, you demonstrated yourself
on this public forum your dislike of me. Thats Ok! I don't Knock you for that. It's is your opinion. Just like its my opinion of what I think of another member who makes silly/stupid comments such as your last thread. If you were so concerned in regards of my comments, you would have sent me a personal e-mail or a PM. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! you decided to make an ass out of yourself by demonstating exactly for what you accuse me of doing on this forum for everybody to read.You provolked this response.So when you decide to stop being my daddy and have somthing intelligent to say about cars.."OHH! I forgot ...You don't even have a gt 40! You just take pictures of them. I suggest you keep making a conscious effort to ignore what people say on this forum. You brought this response on yourself. Now,we will get bunch of negitive comments for which you started. And frankly daddy..Your right!. I really don't care what you think..So bug off and best regards.
$.
Oliver

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Cris, now sends me a pm to tell me what he thinks of my response. He gave me permission to post his response. I just have to say that he is just as guilty if not more guilty than I for negitive responses. This just go's show you he is no different than me! although I have the the teticular veracity to say so.

AS Follows

If you'd like to do this privately, we can. I felt compelled to share it publicly as you feel no qualms to do so and I wanted others to see what the interaction with you has been. Here in private is my response to your post.

In contrast to your assessment, I did correctly read your post. It turns out you did not correctly read mine.

Yes it's true that in a post you thank Ross for his well thought out responses. This is after you assess his worth to be that he "can take the garbage out and pick up the dog sh@#$@#t!"

Click here if you need to refresh your memory.

My point in all that was in spite of your abrasiveness, Ross still replied (demonstration of the good will on this site). I probably would have as well, but that is the type of person I am. I will not make any inferences as to what your response may or may not be in any circumstances.

John W said:

"Oliver,
I thought your RF kit was on order.
If so why not just order it set up for a ZF from the start ???"

To which you replied:

"RF only comes with the Audi Set up. Unless sombody knows somthing that I don't know!
I will try to ignore silly comments from silly people!"

With John W having just made the suggestion to contact RF, it can be easily inferred that your response (which comes sequentially directly after his) would be directed toward him. If you have some sort of relationship with John W where he can infer that your remark was tough-in-cheek, that's fine but in my perception your reply was inflammatory. Additionally, if you think that those circumstances make it unreasonable for John to think that your comment wasn't aimed at him, I recommend you take a course in communications.

As for your third point, you are sharing your unfiltered inner monologue with the rest of the world without concern for couth or respect. I chose to communicate with you in the same manner and forum. It's nice that your insecurities drive you to sling mud instead of actually listen to the message. People here are telling you something and there is a reason.

Seeing as you took the time to reply to my post, thank you for showing that you DO care. As for me bringing your response on myself, I had a feeling that exactly this reaction would transpire. It does not bother me. It has however validated the opinion I have formed of you.

I am not your daddy, nor would I want to be, and I would be ashamed if you did spread that rumor. But if people ask, you may tell them that I am your daddy. And when you do, make sure you spell your daddy's name correctly.

As for your other assessments of my skills, save your opinions and conjecture. You don't know me, who I am or what I do. Nor will you. You can now rest easy that I no longer care enough about you to continue our interaction and I shall close with a resounding "FUCK OFF."

Feel free to post this on a thread. If you do, make sure you include the whole thing.

Chris

ople Don'tm

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Jimmy Is right! I apologize to everybody for posting the PM from Cris.It was uncalled for. I stooped to his level and for this I apologize...My comment was not for john W. It was for Andy who brought up past threads. So I apologize to John W. I will not appollogize to cris for his trailer trash comments in the pm...I apologize for Cris to the forum for being a bad boy..Shame Shame Shame!

Oliver

Chris Kouba

Supporter
To JimmyMac and all,

Sorry you all got to read my PM to Oliver. It was not meant to be published and I didn't expect it to be, but I if it was I did not want anything to be taken out of context. So you got to read it all.

Oliver is a finished deal for me.

Chris

John B

Temp Selling Pass
You said to publish it as long as all of it was posted! So I did what you offered...And now you regret showing your true colors. you did it to yourself boy!

Ron McCall

Supporter
Chris,
I agree with every thing you said. It seems like EVERY thread that OLIVER replies to(hijacks) turns into a big pile of s#!t.
OLIVER: Your abrasive comments are ridiculous.If you don't have anything helpful to add DON'T POST!!
How hard is that to understand?

Oliver

I'm glad you found my post silly. I was simply pointing out that you bought a used zf from a Pantera. Your bellhousing, clutch, engine location, and shifter location will ALL depend on how you orient your transaxle. I am sure you already know ALL of this and I am being silly...I was just trying to save you from 5 reverse gears or a motor that sticks above your roofline.
Perhaps even a turnkey is beyond your abilities.

Regards,
Silly, Stupid, Unhelpful.
(There, I already included the content of your response to this post.)

Back