ZF Fitting

Steve

GT40s Supporter
Does anyone know what type of fitting this is on the top of the ZF transaxle (in flipped position in an SPF)? I want to put an external breather on the transaxle and I can't find what kind of fitting this is. It doesn't seem to be an NPT.

Attachments

Steve

GT40s Supporter
Yes, I have the breather assembly. It's "OK" but a remote breather would be better. The breather assembly tends to spit out oil too. I can't figure out what type of threads are used so I can get the appropriate 90 degree fitting. Trying to call and talk to someone at RBT is next to impossible. The phone is either busy or no one picks up.

Does anyone know what type of fitting this is on the top of the ZF transaxle (in flipped position in an SPF)? I want to put an external breather on the transaxle and I can't find what kind of fitting this is. It doesn't seem to be an NPT.
That’s just a plastic plug to fill the hole, I think. I suspect (but don’t know for a fact) that the hole is a pipe thread, same as the one used for the side filler, and the drain plug? The original GT 40/Mangusta vent fitting thing is a rather tall,elaborate-looking affair. I don’t know if RBT is making them?

Keep trying Lloyd. He is a one+man operation. He usually comes to work very early in the morning and departs by mid-afternoon, to beat traffic. He basically operates on east coast business hours.

Steve

GT40s Supporter
So, apparently I'm a nitwit. The breather is an M26. There's a portion that screws into it that is 3/8" (removed in second photo). I took it to ACE hardware and it screws nicely into 3/8" FPT. Talked with Dennis and, sure enough, he said it's 3/8" NPT. I order a 90 degree 3/8" NPT to -AN fitting and it only screws into the breather a half turn or so and comes to a stop. It's definitely 3/8" but the thread pitch or count must be slightly different. What gives? I thought 3/8" NPT was standard. Not sure why the male fitting I removed screws into a pipe fitting at ACE no problem but the fitting I order won't screw in (other than I'm destined to drag this build into 2020).

Attachments

Steve

GT40s Supporter
Son of a [email protected]&*. I can't believe the time I've spent on this trivial item. Having said that, I've figured it out. The Breather is a 26M thread and the insert (removed in the 2nd figure above) is a 16M thread. Dennis told me it was a 3/8" thread. Might be the only thing he's ever steered me wrong on and his help is always invaluable. So, I put a 16M to -6AN converter on the breather followed by a -6AN 90 degree and a -6AN to hose fitting and I'm good to go as far as setting up a remote breather.

Attachments