Avenger - good laugh out of this one

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Some guy has posted an Avenger on eBay with an uninstalled VW engine on a VW frame. The car looks pretty ragged:

e9_12_sb.JPG

What is really hilarious is his description of the car:

" Vehicle Description

For sale 1969 Fiber fab Avenger. This kit car is an exact replica of the classic Ford GT-40. The fiberglass body is in excellent condition with no cracks and is powered by a 4-cylinder VW engine that is not installed. The pictures tells the story. The body sets easily on any Volkswagen or Porche frame and can be modified for your preference."

I sent him an email telling him that there were close to a thousand people here that would take exception to his claim. I also told him that few of us would make that claim even though our cars were orders of magnitude closer to the original GT40 than the Avenger is.

LOL,
Lynn

Not sure why anyone would, but just in case, click here to see it.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
As a post script, I think that maybe a high percentage of those thousand people have emailed the guy to say, basically, the same thing I did. All of my emails to him have bounced back saying that his mailbox is full! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynn

Apparently he got the message, the description now says:

"For sale 1969 Fiber fab Avenger. This kit car was designed to be a replica of the classic Ford GT-40."

The advertiser was quite correct when he said "The pictures tells the story." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Charles

Mark,

It was a "Durango", according to Alex's descripton in the

film. The movie car was a spyder, not a coupe, and looked a

LOT better than this Avenger. I'd be curious to know what

that car really was. Anybody know for sure?

I believe that "A Clockwork Orange" heralded from 1971?

That might help narrow it down.

Bill

The Durango 95 was actually a Probe 16 concept car, built by the Adams Brothers, in the late sixties. It was only 34" tall! Pretty wild looking!

Attachments

• 42081-a2_adam_probe16.jpg
    42081-a2_adam_probe16.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,228
I don't know if this was the same on the Probe 16, but check out where your legs go on the Probe 15 - ouch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

And the Probe 15 was even more difficult to get out of than the GT40. You had to climb out of the roof. Miniskirts only - see the images below /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

driversseat.jpg

grl_on_top.jpg

miniskirt.jpg

Rob

I have the "brochure" for the Adams Probe 16 (it might have been a 70,s Sunday paper supplement). I also saw the 1:1 version parked near tinpan alley West end of London. I have Monochrome photos of it wearing a Ferrari badge!!? Did an Adams design race at Lemans in 1966. Was he connected to Marcos?

Maybe a little off topic, but this reminded me of the short lived series 'Hardcastle and McCormick'. Anyone know what the car used in that series was?

Hi Allan

I'm pretty sure that Dennis Adams designed the Marcos 1800, Mini Marcos and others - and yes a Mini Marcos came 15th at Le Mans in 1966 - now just check out the Gulf colours and striping (a year BEFORE the Gulf/JWA team used them on the GT40 ... was the Mini Marcos a trend setter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )

LeMans1966-Marcos50.jpg

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob
I think an adams design was raced it might have been at Le mans or Brands 1966 in the rain. It was not a mini marcos. But it was entered as a Marcos.I think it retired with electrical problems
Regards Allan

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
The car in Hardcastle & Mccormick was a modified Manta Montage. They had a couple of them, VW powered. Later in the series they replaced the car with another based on the DeLorean.

I've got a Manta Montage that I'm restoring. Tube frame, Mustang II front suspension, double-a arm rear with coil overs. Standard motor was a 2.8 liter V6 (130 hp). I'll be putting in a 3.8 liter supercharged motor (300 hp).

Pictures, history and such at my M6GT website: http://www.birch.net/~petek/m6gt

Pat

Supporter
I am impressed.

Pete,
I've spent the morning reading your Manta-adventure. I am really impressed. It would make a great paperback on restoring a replica. It was a fun read and I picked up a few tricks. One suggestion: Pegasus and others make stick- on heat shielding that may save you some hassle with the coolant plumbing and wire protection. I use it on my race car to stop the wrong things from being "combusted".

Thanks for sharing.

Veek

Back