Randy's RCR40 MKI

Randy Folsom

Supporter
One of the first things I did was modify my gas tanks, bungs, brackets, etc. and installed them before working on the suspension. I believe you can remove the lower A arms, lift the uppers and slide the tank in if you assembled the front suspension before the tank.
Vinny, others have described separating the lower ball joint to access the tanks. In any case, my plan is to work on the suspension until after first start. Cheers, Randy

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Happy Days. Bill at RCR sent me some progress pics. The rear clip is at the body shop for the +2 flares. There is a nice looking Mk2 in the background. I like the period look of the Avons.

My RCR40 Roller at RCR Front View.jpg

My RCR40 Roller at RCR Back View.jpg

Klaf

Supporter
I dialed my bellhousing in. The lateral numbers were in tolerance but the face was off. The tolerance is .002 in. I had to sand the paint off the block on one side because it was put on too think.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I have yet to start work in earnest on the RCR40. I had another project that needed to be finished first. This one has been an on and off effort for the past eight months. Finally finished it today. It’s a bobberized Yamaha V-Star 650. It started out as two basket cases.

IMG_3676.jpeg

I did complete the inventory of parts for the RCR40 and managed to find room for all the fiberglass on my back porch. It makes for a nice view out the back :)

Tomorrow is chassis tear down day.

>I did complete the inventory of parts for the RCR40 and managed to find room for all the fiberglass on my back porch.

Curious: What is the largest part, and would it fit "indoors", as in would it fit thru a 36" doorway (into the basement) ?

Sean S.

Supporter
I have yet to start work in earnest on the RCR40. I had another project that needed to be finished first. This one has been an on and off effort for the past eight months. Finally finished it today. It’s a bobberized Yamaha V-Star 650. It started out as two basket cases.

View attachment 138750

I did complete the inventory of parts for the RCR40 and managed to find room for all the fiberglass on my back porch. It makes for a nice view out the back :)

Tomorrow is chassis tear down day.
Hardest part for me was figuring out where to store everything. These cars take up a lot of room while everything is pulled apart.

Bike is looking great!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
>I did complete the inventory of parts for the RCR40 and managed to find room for all the fiberglass on my back porch.

Curious: What is the largest part, and would it fit "indoors", as in would it fit thru a 36" doorway (into the basement) ?
The whole car is 40 inches high and that is running 4 inch ground clearance.
largest parts are front and rear clams and so yes I would say they will fit through a 36 inch door

Ian

Last edited:

Randy Folsom

Supporter
The whole car is 40 inches high and that is running 4 inch ground clearance.
largest parts are front and rear clams and so yes I would say they will fit through a 36 inch door

Iqn
I think all the fiberglass parts would fit through a typical 36” front door, but once inside you might find it hard to find space. The front and rear clips are big and cumbersome. I did take over the dining room with the seats, carpet and bundle of snakes.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
For those not familiar with the RCR delivery process I thought I would share my experience.

I used Beacon. Like others, they have a pool of independent haulers and they presumably ensure the haulers have insurance, etc. Beacon works with RCR to arrange pickup.

The car is loosely assembled, filled with parts and wrapped in pallet plastic.

IMG_3631.jpeg

This how looks fresh out of the trailer.

First step after unwrapping is to inventory everything. Some part description's are difficult to interpret, but using a process of elimination I was able to identify everything.

I thought I was missing some parts, but I contacted customer support and found everything.

IMG_3634.jpeg

There aren’t nearly as many parts as my FFR Roadster since most of the parts are attached to the chassis.

After lifting off the doors, front and rear clips and spider, I took a lot of pictures of the chassis, especially the suspension. Many close ups and many angles. I tried to take the pictures in a round about sequence so I can more easily identify them later.

Finding room for the body parts is a challenge. Since they are fiberglass, I put them on the back porch.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I finished the easy part of the build today: disassembly. I made a dolly using 4”x4”s with 6” casters. It puts the chassis at a very convenient height and can be moved easily. I used the same for my Cobra. Even with the engine installed, it can be moved around the shop. I have a set of wheel dollies that came in very handy to hold the suspension assemblies.
IMG_3692.jpeg

image.jpg

Next up is cleaning the chassis. Then undercoat the bottom and wheel wells. Based on guidance from Chris, I plan to use Upol’s Gravitex.

After undercoating, I will probably install the fuel system, at least the tanks and tank plumbing so I can mount the front suspension.

Back