Steve's RCR GT40 Build

Klaf

Supporter
I just traced the outline of the fiberglass onto poster board. The horizontal dimension was 10 1/2 in and 22 in high. My depth was 4 1/2 in to hide the fusebox and msd. I took into account the angle of my firewall to lay flush with the bottom after I bent it. My angle was74 degrees.
IMG_6830.jpeg
IMG_6946.jpeg
IMG_6828.jpeg

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Steve, If I am looking at the pictures correctly, your wings are angled such that the tops will extend past the Spyder. Based on Chucks build log, I was thinking they would angle the other way, but that would not provide near as much room for components. Am I seeing things correctly. Cheers, Randy

Klaf

Supporter
Yes. It’s not painted and the top isn’t finished because I will certainly need to trim it when I fit the clam on. I have redone and triple done enough on this car to guarantee that.

IMG_6949.jpeg

This is what I am hiding

Howard Jones

Supporter
I was thinking you might want to add a "grill" to that pannel to ventilate that area. The MSD will use about 6-8 amps or about 75 -100 watts. And then you have the added heat that a coil will generate. It's less than the MSD but it's not insignificant. Imagine If you put a 75-watt light bulb in there it would get pretty hot I would think.

Maybe something like this? I googled "computer enclosure ventilation grill"

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
There was a picture o this forum a while back I believe from Jimmy Mac
it showed the rear lef of the spider on left side with a slit init about 5 inches long

this was on a race oriented original and directed cooling air onto the fuel pumps

could probably do something similar instead of running a fan

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I am going to install the 5” fans and controller same as Chuck’s build. Adding the mesh as John Howard suggests will definitely help. Could add a little louver or NACA duct just before the clip inlet on the spider as well as Ian suggests.

IMG_3736.jpeg

Klaf

Supporter
Thank you for noticing that. I would have burnt my hand to a crisp eventually. I have to wrap my head around this. Not sure which direction I will go.

Back