T44 Gt40

Hi Guy,s ,
I am at moment rebuilding a T44 and wondering if somebody knows who supplies or making parts for it . I am located in Holland , Europe

Attachments

• IMG_0612.jpeg
    IMG_0612.jpeg
    484.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0611.jpeg
    IMG_0611.jpeg
    581.2 KB · Views: 84
Hi Guy,s ,
I am at moment rebuilding a T44 and wondering if somebody knows who supplies or making parts for it . I am located in Holland , Europe
Your photos suggest its built using standard Top Loader gearbox components, aside from you contacting other manufactuars for parts can you tell us what parts you require, Ive got a fairly good grasp on whats inside them and might be available off the shelf.

Your photos suggest its built using standard Top Loader gearbox components, aside from you contacting other manufactuars for parts can you tell us what parts you require, Ive got a fairly good grasp on whats inside them and might be available off the shelf.
Good call Jack.
I've looked at the layout of these a number of times, but don't have any practical experience with them.
Based on the plans, it would seem that the bespoke parts are
1 main input shaft/first drive gear - Bespoke to T44
2 I'm not sure on quick change drive gears on the rear, do these need to be a bespoke to T44 arrangement to sit on the standard output shaft end of the top loader output shaft?
3 there is 2 quick change drive gears that sit above the output shaft of the top loader isn't there. Are these just standard winters style quick change gears?
4 the main pinion drive shaft that runs back forwards to the crown wheel drive. - this would obviously need to be bespoke to T44.
5 various bearing carriers would be bespoke to T44.
6 main differential bearings/side plates and output shafts look to be bespoke to T44
7 cases, bell housings, castings look to be bespoke to T44.

I'm not sure on the shift roads and shift forks and interlocks. don't know enough about them.
I presume the rest of the shafts, gears, bearings are all just top loader elements?

How have I done?

Ryan

Good call Jack.
I've looked at the layout of these a number of times, but don't have any practical experience with them.
Based on the plans, it would seem that the bespoke parts are
1 main input shaft/first drive gear - Bespoke to T44Yes, same gear, BUT needs longer input shaft to pass thru R&P section etc and allowance for shallow bell housing which is less than normal OEM. Where this might be in trouble is using the helical cut Top Loader input migh t tend to twist the shaft under load...just my thought.
2 I'm not sure on quick change drive gears on the rear, do these need to be a bespoke to T44 arrangement to sit on the standard output shaft end of the top loader output shaft?Center distance is same, but eitherMainshaft needs splined to suit or special mainshaft & respline to get stronger dia.
3 there is 2 quick change drive gears that sit above the output shaft of the top loader isn't there. Are these just standard winters style quick change gears?Yes, as above.
4 the main pinion drive shaft that runs back forwards to the crown wheel drive. - this would obviously need to be bespoke to T44. Yes, but varies with R&P choice
5 various bearing carriers would be bespoke to T44. Due to space requirments most need to be custom.
6 main differential bearings/side plates and output shafts look to be bespoke to T44 Yes, ideally need to be CV joint compatible for reliability.
7 cases, bell housings, castings look to be bespoke to T44. Yes, bu a local (to me ) guy built one around the OEM Top Loader main case, it can be done..

I'm not sure on the shift roads and shift forks and interlocks. don't know enough about them.For RHD yes, LHD will require a rework of th e rework.
I presume the rest of the shafts, gears, bearings are all just top loader elements? Yes, but might need a suport brg where input leaves Bell Housing to pass into R&P section......This appears to be where some have failed. Be aware it does not use a 9" R&P., on the origionals this was/is a custom item from Weissman., As I intimated on another forum it can be done but requires a deeper trans, R&P, ,and QC housing to suit...................I think thats about it, my own effort has been made simpler to accomodat those changes, but Im not in a position to drop everything and build them.

How have I done?OK, but you have had some help! Think thats all, but dont trust the memory these days.

Ryan

Top Loader Synchro rings require 80w Gear oil. If your T44 uses the same oil in all three sections and any of those use an EP or Synthetic oil you might need to rework or rethink that. Fifty years ago there were dog engagement kits for the Top Loader, but I guess they are no longer availiable. Long term cure might be to make a synchro ring that might work with the oil or devise seals between sections or an oil thar will cover all the needs.

Back