Vintage Air Mini Gen II - A/C Not Functioning

Really? You mean just opening up a line to add a new charge port will trash the drier?
You seem new to A/C systems, so I posted that. Never assume anything. I'd hate for you to open it, replace the line, then have a poorly performing system because your drier got saturated.

Not necessarily. I replaced my pressure switch which sits right on my drier. I did it in my climate controlled shop and had it open for 7 seconds or so . Didn't replace the drier. If any humidity gets in the system, replace it.

UPDATE:

I opened up the system and found 1 cracked O-ring and one missing O-Ring. Replaced them both, lubed and tightened everything back up. Vacuumed the system down to -30 and it held for over 26 hours. Assuming all was good, we refilled it with the recovery machine to the 1.8 pound specified capacity. Drove the car home the next day and...no AC. Clutch wouldn't engage. Bypassed the trinary to test the circuit and the AC clutch and thermostat switch worked fine. Put some gauges on it and the Low side read 50psi and the High side read zero. Looked at the gauge a minute later and now both sides are showing zero. Pushing on the Schrader valves let the faintest hiss and then both sides totally empty.

What the heck is going on here? How can it hold a vacuum for over a day then leak out immediately. I am perplexed what to do next.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
This is a long shot, but I recently overhauled the AC system in one of my vehicles, including a new receiver/dryer. Pulled the same vacuum as you, held for 6 hours so I charged with R134a. AC was super cold that day. The next day nothing.
It turned out to be the port caps. The low side cap actually depressed the schrader valve enough to cause it to leak. I recharged the system and left the cap off. It’s been working fine for a couple weeks now.

Back