Saftey wiring knock on/off wheels

Just for edification, the spinners have a hole for safety wiring. should I drill a hole in the edge of the next spoke in the direction of tightening? If so, do I put it on the close side or the far side and come over the spoke. If over the spoke should I use some clear tubing to keep from scratching the spoke?Or should I just wrap it around the spoke at its smallest area(next to the rim). Same thing with the tubing across the face of the spoke.
Need to wire the wheels and can find it done all kinds of ways on the web.

Bill

I am not going to comment on the safety wire aspect Bill, it should be done, but as I believe this will be your first drive in the car I would mark the spinner/wheel with a pen & recheck the spinners after a very short drive a couple of times, just to save having to redo the safety wire if the spinner tightens further, also remember if you remove & refit the wheel it would have to go back on the drive pins @ the same location for the holes to be in similar position, so a permanent mark for wheel to hub location would be handy as well.. best wish's & we dont want any reports along the lines of Bill D's saga with wheels falling off:)

Brian Stewart
Supporter
OK, it's a MKII, but this is how 1046 is done....

Attachments

• Wheel.jpg
    Wheel.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 721
Jac,
Thanks for the quick info. Will try that til I am ready to generate some speed and distance. No chance of the wheels falling off. I had that hapen just moving the car around while it was in the roller stage. It was a bad bearing that the dealer replaced. All are set as tight as the air gun would go.

Bill

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Drill a hole in each one of the spinner ears. That way no matter which drive pin your re-mounted wheel ends up on, as Jac Mac mentioned, one of the ears is in the right location.

Back