Real GT40 on SPEED tomorrow(Staurday)

Ron McCall

Supporter
The Lost Drive-In tomorrow night is featuring a French movie called "A man and a woman" There is an incredible,5 min.scene in which the star is testing a GT40 in Ford of France colors! It is a pretty boring movie but the GT40 scene is well worth it.
I,by total dumb luck,turned HBO on about two years ago and caught this scene.I looked all over and finally found a VHS copy of the movie just for this scene.
I think it is on at 8pm.
Enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lurk.gif

I refer to that as a "gratuitous GT40 scene wrapped up in a chick movie." I remember watching that movie with my parents when I was a kid and the only things I remembered were the GT40 and the theme music. It has a very '60s feel to it.

Keith

There was a similar typically French b&w movie titled on the same theme with a Shelby GT350 in it. In fact, it sounds like the same movie which is curious.(maybe they just made a lot of incomprehensibly moody black & white man & woman movies with iconic cars back then. I remember sitting through hours of strange music, very little dialogue and intense staring eyes, just waiting for the crackle of that hi-po 289. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The movie that FernandoGB is referring to is entitled "C'etait un rendez-vous". It was filmed in Paris, 1976, with a movie camera installed on the front of what many believe to be a Ferrari 275 GTB. One take, unedited, unenhanced. As you can imagine, this movie was blackmarket for the longest time, but has recently been receiving public exposure in light of its DVD restoration. If anyone has seen a better driving sequence/footage, please let me know! The only movies that I think would compare would be Le Mans (1970) and Grand Prix (1966), IMHO. They sure don't make 'em like they used to...

Thanks Ron for the heads-up regarding "A man and a woman". I'm going to tape the movie to keep a record of the GT40 footage.

Cheers,
Rob

So that sequence will be the misterious one driven by jacky Ickx or jaques lafitte.
Is still TOO cool seen today, I just dreamed it was a gt40, and instead is ONLy a ferrari /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif LOL(the sound guys..is incredible..i definitely love that music /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

LOL...now we can plan someone of u owners can do something similar today..ihihihi,
We have the cars...we have better microcams, many of u are great pilots..lol... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just I think we have to dare it in any of our city/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Waiting now for a "gateway in geetee"..or "gumball3000-Cannonball geetee"
LOL

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lurk.gif

I was not able to view the movie however I may be able to shed some light on it. If this is the movie of a car racing thru downtown paris chasing an old lady off the sidewalk (I have a few sidewalk experiences myself) then I've seen it before. I was at the University of Illinois and Chrysler was there showing the video. The car is a Lamborghini Countach at least according to their claim. As I remember the video it was awesome.

Theon

Theon,

I would have to politely disagree with your comments. The engine note is simply too high for it to have come from a Countach. IMHO, it screams prancing horse. Also, I would have expected much more oversteer in a countach, but perhaps this isn't true.

Regards,
Rob

I would have to see the video again you may be correct. Chrysler was claiming this to be a countach during an engineering show at U of I. They were showing the video of the show 60 minutes which had a lamborghini segment and they showed a short film called rendevous which they claimed was a countach going thru Paris in the morning. They could have been misleading us.

Theon

I'm surprised that the Chrysler guys would have the nerve to claim it was a Lamborghini, as it was universally held to be a Ferrari by those who were supposedly involved. Regardless, it has been pretty well proven that the "Rendezvous" film was, as they say, "hyped" a bit. Time/distance analysis showed that the car was not actually going that fast. I think 60 or 65 mph was the top speed. I know that I timed the stretch I'm familiar with, from the Arc d'triomph to the Place d'Concorde and it worked out to arount 63 mph. I can remember driving that stretch at nearly that speed in our old Opel Cadett wagon late one night in 1970. Shows what impression of speed a low camera placement can give.

Back