GT40 Replica beginner

Hey everyone,

Just purchased a fibrefab gt40 body with all the doors and stuff for a few hundred bucks. It was originally fit for a VW chassis, but I am going to look for a fiero chassis instead. I am wondering which of the following options would be the best:

1) 1986 Supercharged 3800 series II fiero (needs a bit of work) automatic for $2500

2) 1986 Fiero 4 cyl. manual $1500

3) don't even bother with this project

4) any other ideas for chasis that fit better?

This is going to be my first car, and would need it just for commuting to work and sometimes longer drives (about 500km trip from school-home). Also, is it absolutely essential to extend the chassis or are there ways to get around that?

Any tips or advice to help me know what else I am getting myself into will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Welding skills/equipment will be needed.
Fiberglass/bodywork will be needed.
You won't have to stretch the Fiero. Wheelbase is 94.75 inches
Fiberfab Avenger (VW) body wheelbase is 93.4 inches. A little fettling of the wheel arches will be needed. The track is another consideration, careful selection of wheel offset "may" help there.
The 3800 conversion has been done before many times. Complicated electronics though. Mostly "off the shelf" components can be used.
If you can do it all yourself, figure at least another $5K on top.
I have stretched Fiero's and installed 3800 conversions before. Got my last low mileage
Series II 3800 supercharged for $500.00 a few years ago. Only 23,000 miles on it too.
I have another 1987 supercharged 3800 in storage.

Last edited:
Welding skills/equipment will be needed.
Fiberglass/bodywork will be needed.
You won't have to stretch the Fiero. Wheelbase is 94.75 inches
Fiberfab Avenger (VW) body wheelbase is 93.4 inches. A little fettling of the wheel arches will be needed. The track is another consideration, careful selection of wheel offset "may" help there.
The 3800 conversion has been done before many times. Complicated electronics though. Mostly "off the shelf" components can be used.
If you can do it all yourself, figure at least another $5K on top.
I have stretched Fiero's and installed 3800 conversions before. Got my last low mileage
Series II 3800 supercharged for $500.00 a few years ago. Only 23,000 miles on it too.
I have another 1987 supercharged 3800 in storage.

I have access to a tig welder, car hoist, all that equipment. Would that be sufficient? And the fiero's i listed are basically running cars and don't need much work other than a tune up. I was hoping to be able to cut off the fiero frame and get the fibrefab body onto it instead. How many hours do you think it would take to do this?

I have access to a tig welder, car hoist, all that equipment. Would that be sufficient? And the fiero's i listed are basically running cars and don't need much work other than a tune up. I was hoping to be able to cut off the fiero frame and get the fibrefab body onto it instead. How many hours do you think it would take to do this?

Why don't you simply leave the Fiero engine/trans alone. Saves a lot of money and work. As for cut & fit, re-do and do, it is all up to how well a finished car you're after. I would gustimate a hundred hours to
trim the Fiero and get the body to fit acceptably. Then you'll have to finish it for interior/paint, etc. This is assuming you use the stock drivetrain. Add another 100 hours to get the 3800 in/axles/transmission
computer and electronics, etc. AND get it all working.

Welcome, but if you want to stick around then have a look at the rules of the forum, particularly number two.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/introduce-yourself-here/27555-rules-gt40s-com.html

Sorry, didn't read it before :p

Why don't you simply leave the Fiero engine/trans alone. Saves a lot of money and work. As for cut & fit, re-do and do, it is all up to how well a finished car you're after. I would gustimate a hundred hours to
trim the Fiero and get the body to fit acceptably. Then you'll have to finish it for interior/paint, etc. This is assuming you use the stock drivetrain. Add another 100 hours to get the 3800 in/axles/transmission
computer and electronics, etc. AND get it all working.

Awesome, thanks a lot! Do you know of any guides/threads/websites that have good information on this type of project?

Here's a option that not many people consider. I started out with it. It uses a specifically designed frame which holds an Oldsmobile engine and transaxle. This engine combination is plentiful and cheap and powerful.

Attached are a few pictures. If you're interested, get back to me and I'll provide you with more info!

John

Attachments

• KIT_CAR2.JPG
    KIT_CAR2.JPG
    845.6 KB · Views: 612
  • Kit_Car003.JPG
    Kit_Car003.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 718
The
fiberfab co still exists and has a nice chassis already designed for that body and a v8 don't remember the site address but google it. Dan Richer is the owner and is easy to work with. I have one and put a Chrysler V6 in on a custom chassis. It works pretty good.

Richard

Here's a option that not many people consider. I started out with it. It uses a specifically designed frame which holds an Oldsmobile engine and transaxle. This engine combination is plentiful and cheap and powerful.

Attached are a few pictures. If you're interested, get back to me and I'll provide you with more info!

John

hmm.. a custom designed frame sounds alot harder unless i could find a used frame like the one your talking about in the area. I think i'm going to go with the fiero, mod it up, remount the rad and hopefully it works out.

Also, thanks John! I need those headlight covers they're selling, you just saved me a ton of time looking for them lol.

What I am unsure about and was hoping someone could explain is this:
How much contact between the body and the frame is needed to bond it for good?
Would adhesive such as 3M 5200, urethene adhesive, etc. be strong enough to hold the body permanently?

5200 is forever, We use it in the marine industry to stick keels onto boats etc. I stuck a cabinet door face on with the stuff... didn't like it and when i took it off the fibergalss gelcoat came with it. Point here is... if you ever want to take it off use something else or make fiberglass flanges and bolt it on. Good luck

Back