Which is the most correct made replica GT40?

Hi Everybody

I recently went to see the Spa Six Hour endurance race and for the 500th time I fell in love with the GT40.

So now I have decided to give it a go - sell a couple of classics and see if I can make my dream come true.

But I could do with a little advice. Here is what I want:

Go historic racing in Europe in the FIA classes for <1965 cars.

And my questions/remarks are:

1. Which is the most correct replica GT40 on market? I have looked at the Superformance GT40 MK1 R and find that very attractive but damned expensive.
  2. Is there a cheaper alternative - I dont mind assembling a kit, as long as everything is correct. Steel monocoque, suspension, body etc.
  3. It needs to be so correct that I could have a FIA HTP papers
  4. I could build my own engine
  5. But what transaxle is the modern replacement for the original ZF? I assume that there a newer version that replaces it?
Kind regards

Ulrik Weiss
Denmark
[email protected]

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Others are more knowledgable than I am, Ulrik, but I think you'll find the ZF is the modern replacement for the T44, which was the transaxle of choice for the original GT40's. Early GT40's had Colletti (I probably misspelled that) transaxles, but as I understand it they didn't have adequate power handling capacity.

Gelscoe and Sbarro are two other names I see bandied about on the forum for fairly accurate replicas....as for being acceptable for FIA, I couldn't say.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with better info....but, if my guess is correct, the Gelscoe and Sbarro offerings will be MORE expensive than the Superformances, not less.

Good luck....steel mono chassis are very limited in the available offerings, and particularly those faithful to the originals. Superformance claims that in excess of 90% of their parts will interchange with the originals, IIRC.

If you can afford it, the last I heard (a few years ago) Holman-Moody had some "originals" to offer....reportedly built on leftover original chassis with modern mechanicals....big price tags, though.

Good luck....

Cheers!

Doug

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hi Everybody

I recently went to see the Spa Six Hour endurance race and for the 500th time I fell in love with the GT40.

So now I have decided to give it a go - sell a couple of classics and see if I can make my dream come true.

But I could do with a little advice. Here is what I want:

Go historic racing in Europe in the FIA classes for <1965 cars.

And my questions/remarks are:

1. Which is the most correct replica GT40 on market? I have looked at the Superformance GT40 MK1 R and find that very attractive but damned expensive.
  2. Is there a cheaper alternative - I dont mind assembling a kit, as long as everything is correct. Steel monocoque, suspension, body etc.
  3. It needs to be so correct that I could have a FIA HTP papers
  4. I could build my own engine
  5. But what transaxle is the modern replacement for the original ZF? I assume that there a newer version that replaces it?
Kind regards

Ulrik Weiss
Denmark
[email protected]

The FIA HTP requirement has narrowed the feild considerably. The Gelscoe, Holman Moody and Superformance cars are the most commonly known FIA accepted cars.

Sorry, but HTP=Damned expensive. It is a matter of degrees, an $89,000 SPF vs. a $500,000 Holman Moody MK II, vs. a Gelscoe at ? (not a slam, I don't know what the pricing is...) I assume the GOX mono GT from Scandinavia would be a option? It is available as a kit which the others are not.

And the T44 was used in the big block MK IIs and MK IVs. All of the production racing MK I coupes and street coupes used the ZF. The Quaife ZFQ was an alternative to the ZF, but is no longer in production.

GOX, potentially could be less expensive than an SPF, but not by much, if you could even obtain it nowadays. For FIA papers, you would have to start with a basic SPF, then add some fairly pricy original bits ( brakes ect), then put on the appropriate safety equipment. Note that even the SPF GT40R does not come standard (unless you order a complete car at $140k or so?) with all of the necessary safety equip (fuel cells, etc)

Yet, I believe it to be far and away the least expensive way to get "papers" to vintage race in Europe. Gelscoe and HM will run you 3-4 times the above number for a GT40R

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
And the T44 was used in the big block MK IIs and MK IVs. All of the production racing MK I coupes and street coupes used the ZF. The Quaife ZFQ was an alternative to the ZF, but is no longer in production.

And as a more specific answer to question 5, the ZF is still in production via RBT for about $13,000 although it's not really correct to say it's a "newer version" in any significant way. Regardless, all the details are at:

RBT Transmissions

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
GOX, potentially could be less expensive than an SPF, but not by much, if you could even obtain it nowadays. For FIA papers, you would have to start with a basic SPF, then add some fairly pricy original bits ( brakes ect), then put on the appropriate safety equipment. Note that even the SPF GT40R does not come standard (unless you order a complete car at $140k or so?) with all of the necessary safety equip (fuel cells, etc)

Yet, I believe it to be far and away the least expensive way to get "papers" to vintage race in Europe. Gelscoe and HM will run you 3-4 times the above number for a GT40R

Ron,

The brake option is dependant upon which era you choose to replicate with a MK I. Pre 1966 requires the solid rotors and Girling calipers which can be supplied on an SPF. The 1967 and up on a MK I allows the vented rotors. A 1966 MK II is allows the vented rotors.

So if you choose a Gulf livery MK I the vents are OK, if you do for example a Ford France MK I, you must have solid rotors!

Yes, the SPF GT40 "R" does not come with fuel cells as the tank requirement varies dependant upon what orginization you are running with however you can add the cells and other required equipment for well less than $140,000 (roller cost,- powertrain is another issue) The "R" roller starts at $89,000 and can be HTP/SVRA/HSR ready as a roller for under 100K.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Gelscoe Motorsport will build you a very exact replica which will be accurate enough to get HTP papers.

Gelscoe Motorsport | Ford GT40

The cost would be £250,000 or more depending on the exact spec you want. Remember this is a very complex hand built car which has to be built using rare or expensive and hard to get parts. Contact them for a quote on price and delivery. Still a fraction of the cost of a raceable original car. Also check out Claude Nahum's Gelscoe replica of 1075 - superb car.

Cheers
Mike

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
GOX, potentially could be less expensive than an SPF, but not by much, if you could even obtain it nowadays.

What is the deal with GOX? He/they seem to come and go here, but I've never seen any references to an actual car. Are there any? How many? When's the last time they delivered one? Are they taking orders, and what is delivery time? etc. etc. etc.

Keith

I believe Goran only made a few chassis from stainless steel but they looked amazing, produced from a set of "original Ford drawings".

Here's one build log but not updated since March.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/23986-assembling-monocoque-8.html#post384888

Goran used to post here regularly and seemed a top notch engineer, unfortunately, someone associated with the project once said "if you have to ask how much it is you obviously can't afford it" at which point most people lost interest.

They have "American Representation" but they like to be very mysterious, so, who knows?

I was already in contact with Göran last week and I will visit him during the coming months. He told me that his company will have seven chassis ready during the winther

So I will let you know the outcome.

And I thank you all so much for taking you time to answer my questions. I hope I haven't seen the last yet.

Best regards
Ulrik

Keith

Danged if I can remember Alan, but he wasn't a million miles away from H&M in North Carolina. Others will remember the guy who used to post regularly on here I'm quite sure. From what Ulrik says, perhaps Goran has decided to make some more as I believe it was only 12 to start with. If you search for Goran on here, probably 3 or 4 years ago I'm sure you will find him...

One thing is for sure - it (the mono) looks absolutely superb...

Keith

No Rick not him. IIRC, there was a some "acrimony" arising out GOX supply and a guy popped up (who was already known to us) claiming he was the US rep by virtue of the fact that he referred to GOX as "WE". When asked about it, everyone became all shy and reluctant to speak. I am sure he was not a million miles away from H&M. Ron may remember him...

I would have thought he was a non starter though to be honest, and it's best to contact Goran directly in his snow bound shed. :)

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Goran is doing well. I believe he doesn't like the bandwidth/noise ratio on here.
That's all, head down and getting on with completing orders. Nothing more mysterious than that.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Goran is doing well. I believe he doesn't like the bandwidth/noise ratio on here.
That's all, head down and getting on with completing orders. Nothing more mysterious than that.

If the S/N ratio HERE is a problem, I suggest he stay off the ENTIRE internet!

I do remember someone posting a dig about the uprights not passing a governemnt test or such. Seemed to be "personal" and that may be why he is a ghost here................

Ron Earp

Admin
Johann used to live here in Raleigh/Cary NC - at least he did a couple of years ago when he stopped by the house.

There are a few threads about GOX and I'd definitely talk to some folks who have received their build materials before ordering one. Check some threads and over in the Vendor feedback area.

Ron

Keith

That's a shame but he liked it well enough some 7 or 8 years ago when he was just getting started! Seems I've heard that one before.

I'm pretty sure he started out with a Hemi powered Pantera? A bit of a beast! Anyway, good engineer, made all his own stuff in his garage/shed and I used to like his helpful tech on here back in the day.

Back