Which is the most correct made replica GT40?

Rune

Supporter
I cannot tell much about the pricing, since I have worked with Goran many years building cars and had a deal with him for my car , I payed a different price than the clean buyers. So the best way to find out, is to mail him.

GOX Teknik - Göran Olsson
(T) +46 (0)526 10785
(M) +46 (0)709 321720
[email protected]
Strömstad - SWEDEN

But as a note , I belive that his pricing is ok for the fact that every part is made from the old drawings.
And belive me it is a huge work to make these parts and a huge job to make the tooling. I have been there, done that :)

Rune

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I'm bending metal now finishing a mono chassis started by the late great Ray Webber. Another 2 of the 6 (partial) chassis made are well documented and owned by JimmyMac and Alister. I have already talked to the FIA about documentation and it requires a 'visit' to view the car. I hope to build to pre 1965 specs with some changes including metal fuel tanks, internal roll bar built into the bulkhead (Alisters great idea not mine), A 302 mexican block but with a 289 crank and internals.

I believe that David Brown still makes excellent chassis in New Zealand and a search for 'Classis Car Developments' should find him...I think he mainly restors Jags.

The Goran chassis is also excellent and I know that Roy Snook is also in the process of completing another 'dead nuts' chassis. Looking at what I have and where I need to get to its no surprise that it has to be a labour of love (and money) and can take years to complete (ask Jimbo). Im planning to finish in about 10 years.....all being well, so dont ask me to make one for you now.... ask me in 10 years.

I have also discussed my 'Mirage Automotive' chassis with Ronnie Spain and he is impressed with the work of JimmyMac to bring the chassis to life so well.

So to my opinions......

The best chassis is the one you can afford.

Hi Ulrik

I can certainly help best contact me by email. I built from scratch the red GT40 that was on pole set by James Littlejohn with a 2.4. It was built off a Superformance chassis and took 18 months to build with Dean Lanzante.

Most of the GT40s running were recreations with only the Lynn/Henderson and Voyazides being original. The rest were Gelscoe I understand. I raced in this race in a Lotus Elite!! the Gt40s were phenomenal in pace................this is the way to go as original with become rare as Historics racers as prices move on up and tool room copies take their place along side the recrereations............

Hello Ulrik
I believe that Gelscoe are the only people who can make you an FIA eligible car, especially if you want to race at Le Mans or for that matter in any period races. The scrutineering is quite hard and they only accept proper and correct cars.
I have a CAV car which has a stainless steel monocoque and I could only race in modern races if I wanted to.

Hello Ulrik
I believe that Gelscoe are the only people who can make you an FIA eligible car, especially if you want to race at Le Mans or for that matter in any period races. The scrutineering is quite hard and they only accept proper and correct cars.
I have a CAV car which has a stainless steel monocoque and I could only race in modern races if I wanted to.

Adrian,

Not quite true, as has been mentioned, Superformance, and obviously, Holman-Moody can receive FIA "papers," if the proper bits are attached. I suspect that there are potentially several others that might also qualify (David Brown, GOX).

Hello Ron
I looked into a Superperformance car in order to get FIA papers and I was told that the monocoque is based on the Zafir car from the 80's which is not the same as the original monocoques and therefore I would not be able to get papers. In the end I did not buy one on that fact.
But I stand to be corrected.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hello Ron
I looked into a Superperformance car in order to get FIA papers and I was told that the monocoque is based on the Zafir car from the 80's which is not the same as the original monocoques and therefore I would not be able to get papers. In the end I did not buy one on that fact.
But I stand to be corrected.

The Superformance Mono is most certainly NOT based upon the Safir chassis. FIA HTP papers are possible with the SPF with the correct options and undersranding of what era you wish to replicate. Pre-1965 requires the Girling brake option with solid rotors and the Girling calipers, etc.

The options are not inexpensive, but still multiple times less than the alternatives.

One question that should also be raised is operational cost. If serious vintage racing is planned, I assume keeping a Gelscoe car on the track would cost more than running a Superformance car. Also, I can only guess there would be a differance between running a MkI vs. a MkII (or even MkIV).

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
One question that should also be raised is operational cost. If serious vintage racing is planned, I assume keeping a Gelscoe car on the track would cost more than running a Superformance car. Also, I can only guess there would be a differance between running a MkI vs. a MkII (or even MkIV).

For equal specs there should be no great difference. Tires are tires and brakes are brakes. Now if you you have a shunt, then there may be definite differences in costs, but normal consumables should be roughly equal.

Certainly a MK II to a MK I will have a cost difference in operational costs as well as initial investment. A T44 costs a little bit (!?) more than a ZF going in, not to mention if you break it..........!

Think how lucky we are now to be able to debate the merits of the choices available! Not too many years ago we would all be wishing we could have a reasonably correct GT40 for less than a 1960s FAV chassis and now there are several to choose from!

Hi Again

I thank you all that has/is contributing to this very good and informable thread. There is some pretty good advice that I can work with.

Yes correct I'm a dreamer :). But that wont mean that nothing will happen. At this stage I'm trying to find out if will be possible to exceed the dream stage. I can inform you that I have owned a lot of historical race cars during my life - and they all came from having the dream first. And I do travel from time to time, so that I dont have mail acces

I need to go and see Goran in Sweden soon and then have a look at a SPF car if possible - and then take a decision from there on.

Best regards
Ulrik Weiss

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Ulrik. --
Building an FIA racer has got to be a replica's highest and best use. As an SPF owner if there is any way I can help please ask.

Alan

Hi Again

I thank you all that has/is contributing to this very good and informable thread. There is some pretty good advice that I can work with.

Yes correct I'm a dreamer :). But that wont mean that nothing will happen. At this stage I'm trying to find out if will be possible to exceed the dream stage. I can inform you that I have owned a lot of historical race cars during my life - and they all came from having the dream first. And I do travel from time to time, so that I dont have mail acces

I need to go and see Goran in Sweden soon and then have a look at a SPF car if possible - and then take a decision from there on.

Best regards
Ulrik Weiss

Hi Ulrik.
GT40 forum in Sweden GT40 :: Index

Best regards
Christer Sundström

Back