REFERENCE BOOKS

For those out there wondering what books are useful on GT40's I find that my best three are as follows (1) GT40:An Individual History and Race Record by Ronnie Spain (2) GT40 , The Legend Lives On by John Allen and (3) GT40;Production and Racing History;Individual Chassis Records by Trevor Legate......There are many more good books out there but these are a good start..

Hi Norman

If you canget hold of these books as well
1: The Ford That Beat Ferrari (John Allen & Gordon Jones) The GT40 Bible!!!!
2: The Inside Story of The Fastest Fords
(Karl E Ludvigsen)
3: The Shelby GT40 (David Friedman)
4: Ford GT 40 ( John S Allen)

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Which book would have the best colour pictures? Am looking for ideas for a paint scheme for my car.

Have just received a copy of "GT40 photo archive" by Brian Winner & Wally Wyss. There are some great early detail pictures.

Hello, !

There are a lot of books on the subject.
Not that many that only covers the GT40.
Most of them tell´s the same story...
Pics can be new thou..
The books mentioned by the other gents are about it, the best.
To have as reference or whatever.
But if you are a "hard case" collector, there are many to find with detailed differences that might come in handy !!!
Do not forget MAGAZINES !!
There are A LOT out there, and they tell their own story...

Regards,

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I just bought the book by Trevor Legate (mentioned by Norman above). It is probably the best one I have seen yet - full history, lots of colour and b&w pics & a 50-page "Parts Manual" which has really detailed exploded views of just about everything, along with a full parts list. Cost was about A$125 - well worth it.

Peter D.
smile.gif

Hi guys,

The best book by far is 'THE FORD THAT BEAT FERRARI A RACING HISTORY OF THE GT40'by John Allen and Gordon Jones.It has exellent B/W and colour photos especially from the 'garage', a full chassis hitory and racing accolades. It has proved invaluable in the creation of my replica GTD40. However, I understand this book is now out of print and worth a small fotune.This came as a shock to me as my copy has spent several years skating around the garage and being thumbed through with oily fingers!!!!!!! Must get it restored.
If anyone has this book, I would like to know the colour of 1033 on page 355.

Paul.

Hello, !

Paul wants some help !
Do not know exactly what you mean, but the colour is Metallic blue on the colour pic.
The other one is B/W.
Maybe you want the actual blending schematics for it ?
Maybe F.Sbarro knows ?
He used to work in the Filipinetti team, so maybe the connection is not to far ?
I don´t know.

Are your book bad on that page or...
Trying to help !

Regards,

From a slightly differnet perspective - Ford GT40 Gold Portfolio 1964-1987, Published by Brooklands Books.

It's a collection of magazine articles, and gives a good impression of how the car was viewed in its day. It really can be quite different to the historic perspective and can sometimes be quite amusing (such as the emphasis made to the existence of a fifth gear).

Much of the information is less than acurate - as articles tend to be to be in hindsight - but even that is amusing.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Paul
Ronnie Spain's book says 1033 left the factory unpainted, it was then painted silver. In 1967 it was then painted metallic blue with black interior and gold centered wheels.

Brian.

Thanks for the info guys. I did know the car was metallic blue, I was trying to source the exact colour code.
I saw an original GT40 at Silverstone painted this colour last August. It was being raced by Charrington Motorsport ( I think). When I asked the race engineers what the colour was they replied 'Blue'. Great sense of humour those engineers!!!

Paul.
grin.gif

G

Hi Paul,
The car you are refering to is FELIC and I am pretty sure the light metallic blue is the original Shelby colour used on the 289 FIA Cobras. I'm also pretty sure that Frank Catt can let you have all the details because Martin Hacon's 40 is painted in that colour.

Julian I think the best book for colour photos is the number 2 book on my list. I certainly spent many hours with this before my final choice. regards

Thanks Andrew,

The '40 I saw at Silverstone was a different shade of Blue to Martin's. Perhaps I will have to be satisfied with the 'Miami' blue.(I think that is the correct name?!).
See you down the 'shed'

Paul.

Hello, !

Even at least one Daytona actually got the same paint..
Mr.Shelby ought to know that particulary colour scheme, as well as some of you Shelby die hards..

Regards,

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Paul,

Viking blue is l963 Ford--Code "E". A paint shop can cross reference this code and provide the appropriate mix.

Cheers Neil,

I have been researching this colour for several months and it seems that I have , at last, found the answer. This underlines what a great source of info' this site is.

Thanks to all,

Paul.
smile.gif

i just got my copy of trevors book. WOW, the diagrahms in the back are cool.

I have the car and driver american muscle cars calender. January's car is a wild colored gt40. It looks a lot like candy apple blue.

Back