REFERENCE BOOKS

Here's some books,most of which I have seen but either don't have now or never had. There is one recent one printed in Japan but I have to go back to the Japanese bookstore to find the title. It was softbound and had nice side view, end view drawings. I recall it was about $26

Racing in the Rain John Horsman (was John Wyer's right hand man) Good inside the team story, lots of revelations on what Wyer thought of Ford management

Ermano Cuoghi wrote a book, he was mechanic on Wyer's GT40 team
but could not find the title of the book. Good inside story.

Cobra Ferrari Wars Mike Schoen might have some GT40
stuff, has a lot of Cobra history anyway. Schoen is a lawyer so documented his book well. His website has stuff that isn't in the book, and is updated often.

Larry Edsall, the Ford GT, "a puff piece book" promoted by Ford
sold at remainders at the big box stores, all on the '05-'06 models.
No factory production shots as published before the car was in production.for instance it shows a ZF gearbox when the production car had a box made in the UK

Blue & Orange...The History of Gulf in Motorsports, Ford GT (have not seen
this book and do not know author)

"Ford GT Team History" published by the original engineers on the '05 & '06 . Not written
with any style but lots of inside pics like track testing prototypes, etc. Info. on vendors like who made what. Supposedly 1000 were printed and then 200 more. I paid $100 for one.

Ford Racing Century by Edsall & Teske published by Motorbooks
Edsall is a veteran writer, author of many books on new cars; Teske a guy who has huge collection of original photos,
but the book still talks about many other Fords and not just Ford GTs; they probably had more Ford GT photos than any other author to choose from

The Racing Fords - first published in 1969 ...
hardbound, I have this book, some black and white on Ford GTs
but also devotes space to Ford Indy Lotus, NASCAR ,etc.Oddly there is no chapter on Cobras. I suspect this
book was written by Ford PR and published under Tanner's name. Tanner was a
mysterious Swiss who was either a race car team co-owner or an assassin (or both!) , depending on who you want to believe.

The Ford GT40 and the new Ford GT. 32 pages color. 100 b & w. Book divided into
two halves, first half original Ford GT40s, second half '05-'06. One of the co-authors actually ordered a new Ford GT during the writing of the book. This book only contact :[email protected]

There is also "The certain sound ... thirty years of motor racing" by John Wyer and covers his time at Aston Martin, Ford and the Gulf years. A good read. Unfortunately it is out of print and expensive to get.

Also "The Ford That Beat Ferrari" has been republished and is now available at a sensible price.

I have the Japanese softback book and it now costs £55. The sideview drawings are nice but not that accurate. The Ford MKII Le Man cars have no humps over their front wheel arches. The colour Neal mention back in 2002 was Viking blue and only applied to the Shelby team for the 1964 season. The main Shelby GT40 colour is of course Guardsman Blue. That was the 1965 colour for the team.
Regards Allan

Ermano Cuoghi wrote a book, he was mechanic on Wyer's GT40 team
but could not find the title of the book. Good inside story.
That would be 'Racing Mechanic' by Jeremy Walton.
Osprey Publications, ISBN 0-85045-329-1

Back