Brake System Flush - I made a bad choice

G

Soft pedal (compressibility) and water contamination seem to be the big drawbacks. I thought that water wouldn't be a problem since reading material stated that most water comes in through rubber lines. My lines are the braided SS/Teflon type, so I thought it would be OK. Well the front reservoir on my master is already turned a brown color (from purple) and I am afraid the muddy sludge is not far behind. Presumably the water is entering through the breather in the reservoir caps. The softer pedal IS noticeable as well.

So, the issue is "what do I flush the lines with to remove any vestiges of the silicone fluid?" Do I just run a pint or two of regular brake fluid through the system and chunk it or is there a something better?

G

I dont know what happened to the first paragraph of my first post, but I guess you can figure out that I used Silicone brake fluid and have now decided that it was not a good idea.

Local guy suggested that I flush the system with denatured alcohol. Any comments or alternatives??

Thanks,

I'd be a little cautious about denatured alcohol - anything left behind is going to lower the boiling point of the new fluid. Silicone wouldn't be soluble in the alcohol anyway, so it would strictly be a mechanical cleaning. I'd just try to remove as much silicone as I could, using air if posssible, then flush with new brake fluid a couple of times.

G

I will definitely be blowing plenty of air through the lines and cylinders at every step of the process. Regular brake fluid was my first thought. I think the guy was figuring that brake fluid is alcohol based and denatured was cheaper than brake fluid. As it turns out, at Lowes anyway, it isn't that much different than gallon cans of brake fluid.

Thanks for the feedback,

Back