Questions from a model builder

Hi,

I'm a scale model builder currently working on MENG's 1/24 scale 1966 MKII GT40. I'm the kind of crazy model builder that adds in as much detail as I can find even if it will never bee seen like adding 0.034" metal washers to the kit seats to simulate all the metal grommets. I am, however, not the worlds most knowledgeable car guy, so that requires a lot of research. I also have a small YouTube channel (JHart Modelworks) where I show what I'm working on, and sometimes how to build.

I have a couple of questions about somethings and researching this car is rather difficult as none of the original cars seem to be the same, there are so many replica vehicles and so many photos look so different. So I thought maybe I'd try asking a forum full of people who know all about these cars for help.

My first question involves these small gold tanks on the back wall next to my thumb. I have a photo from the model I'm working on. What are these small containers? Only a few photos seem to show them and, I see a jumble of lines but I can never get good shots of what these lines are, how they connect and what they connect to.

Containers in rear.jpg

My second question involves this big metal tank in the front compartment. The one at the top with the round glass window, the gold cap, and the large braided lines with AN fittings. Some cars have it some don't. The Meng 1/12 scale kit has it, my 1/24th doesn't. It looks like a fuel tank, but I thought the cars had 2 tanks that ran along the sides of the body. I saw a page somewhere that mentioned a dry sump system and an oil reservoir and indicated it was in this location. Is this big metal tank the oil reservoir? It seems like a lot of oil in a huge tank.

Front tank.jpg

I appreciate any help you guys could offer.

Thank you for your time

Justin Hart
JHart Modelworks.

Fuel pumps are Stewart Warner and there were typically 3 on the MKII. 2 on the MKI. It looks like your fuel pump mounting bracket is upside down. You may want to look at my site for pictures of the plumbing (llamabite.com) ;)

It looks like your battery is mounted in the rear. The MKIIA had it in the passenger foot well.

Front tank is in fact for oil. It was used only on the MKIIA (1966) on the MKIIB (1967) it was moved to the rear. Most A’s were converted to B, so pictures of the same car can be confusing.

We’re all model builders, just working in different scales.

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hi,

I'm a scale model builder currently working on MENG's 1/24 scale 1966 MKII GT40. I'm the kind of crazy model builder that adds in as much detail as I can find even if it will never bee seen like adding 0.034" metal washers to the kit seats to simulate all the metal grommets. I am, however, not the worlds most knowledgeable car guy, so that requires a lot of research. I also have a small YouTube channel (JHart Modelworks) where I show what I'm working on, and sometimes how to build.

I have a couple of questions about somethings and researching this car is rather difficult as none of the original cars seem to be the same, there are so many replica vehicles and so many photos look so different. So I thought maybe I'd try asking a forum full of people who know all about these cars for help.

My first question involves these small gold tanks on the back wall next to my thumb. I have a photo from the model I'm working on. What are these small containers? Only a few photos seem to show them and, I see a jumble of lines but I can never get good shots of what these lines are, how they connect and what they connect to.

View attachment 132478

My second question involves this big metal tank in the front compartment. The one at the top with the round glass window, the gold cap, and the large braided lines with AN fittings. Some cars have it some don't. The Meng 1/12 scale kit has it, my 1/24th doesn't. It looks like a fuel tank, but I thought the cars had 2 tanks that ran along the sides of the body. I saw a page somewhere that mentioned a dry sump system and an oil reservoir and indicated it was in this location. Is this big metal tank the oil reservoir? It seems like a lot of oil in a huge tank.

View attachment 132479

I appreciate any help you guys could offer.

Thank you for your time

Justin Hart
JHart Modelworks.

That picture is a Superformance GT40 MK II that has been modified. See this for some helpful details: SAE_Papers.pdf (gt40s.com)

We’re all model builders, just working in different scales.

Indeed. All infected with the same condition :)

Welcome to the madness Justin.

PS, the "Filler Breather" cap for the dry sump tank (the gold one) should be like the 303 Scalloped type from Wisco Products and have the additional tab spot wellded onto the side of it to allow it to be locked closed post scrutineering at Lemans.
See image bottom left. I think there was also a chain attached to it as well.

wisco-300-series-filler-caps2.jpg

Wisco Products 300 Series Filler Caps

My 3D modeling skills are fairly basic, but I've started on the oil reservoir. I don't think I could get a clean enough result scratch building it.

The final part will use some black 2mm wide ribbon for the straps, and I plan for the window frame to be a separate part I can slide in and glue in place. That way I can use some clear acetate sheet to make the window glass and paint it to look like there is some oil in there.

Option 2 for the oil, is to make the breather cap removable , get the window in, and then fill the tank with some 2 part epoxy resin mixed with dye to simulate the oil. We'll see how it goes. You won't be able to see much in there with the body on. all but about the front half will disappear forever, so the front is getting most of my attention right now
1694749600490.png

Still have to finish up the front surface detail and the fill cap but it's a start.

I don't think that the original MkII Oil Reservoir Tank Cap was scalloped, nor billet.
I believe it was this spec. with the caps painted red.

View attachment 132493
NOS
Bugger you James! LOL, i thought i had worked that bit out, now i am not so sure.

XGT1 at the Simeone Museum has the scalloped one painted black. See Video
GT40 Tech Talk - YouTube

The 300 series is 2.2" in diameter. I have not been able to confirm the size
Wisco Products - Series Visual Reference

The weld on filler neck looks similar.
Wisco Products 300 Series Filler Necks

Back