wheel offset

Just for discussion , what is the best way anyone on this forum has fit the fattest tire on their car. Lets say with Gulf flares, and 15" or 17" or larger wheels? Also a company that can support the wheel offset that might be required. I know of some that will send out a base wheel with your measurements tacked up you test fit and send back for final fabrication. Any thoughts?

Have a chat with the kit manufacturers you are looking at. They can let you know their max wheel & tyre sizes, and whether spacers should be used on their hubs to fill up that final 5mm in the guards. Forum member's build diaries also have a lot of great information.

There are several wheel manufactures that will build what you want (within a range of sensibility), but I would be very cautious of using one kit manufacturer's data about max sizes and offsets for a totally different project (if that's what you are doing), as the relationship of the tyre centreline to the wheelbearing (amongst other things) is critical for durability and safety.

Without first-hand knowledge, I would be surprised if you couldn't fit a 335/30x17 on an 11.5" - 13" rim (or 335/35x15 if still made) under the rear of most Gulf flared GT-40s, but the wheel and tyre are only one part of the engineering package.

What are you planning?

Regards
Richard

Richard, I am planning on the largest size of 335/45 or 50 /17 at the most. I posted the question just to see the range of tire/ wheel combo's that other biulders on the forum have used. My car is a Tornado TS-40. I do agree that there is a LOT more than tire size to be considered here. 335/15 would be a great size but I am not sure, like you are that the size exists. There is a company here in the US that with an initial fee and measurement from the car biulder that will send to you a wheel with your offest tacked on the rim so you can set height and turn radius to make sure all is well and not rubbing on frame or body parts before final wheel welding . Thanks for your reply to my post. Kevin

Hi Kevin

Sorry, I didn't realise you already had a 40 - I should have checked some of your posts before I replied!

I haven't done a search, but would imagine 335/35x15s are available through Pirelli as this was the Countach tyre (at least I think the profile was 35). I'd imagine some of the other well known US or Euro brands would have something close to that size in 15" too.

That company that will mock up the wheels for you sounds particularly useful. Do you have a link?

Best of luck.

Richard I will get back to you shortly on the supplier of the wheels.I was drawn to the 40 because of the timeless style of this car. I have been a "gearhead ' all my life. Also I love to fabricate things ,anything and this car has been a blessing for that, as I am sure all on this site can agree to that. Kevin

Back