SouthernGT / AK builds wheel size/offset

Hello everybody,

I have searched till my eyes bled (actually used the search feature) and not a single person on any build threads happens to mention what size and offset of wheel choices they have gone with.

I am looking to ask if you are willing to answer, with 15-inch wheels and a not a wide body and standard SGT/AK suspension and brakes, what offset, and width did you choose?

I am looking to expedite the timeline it takes to get the wheels rather than waiting to get to the point of mounting up the body and taking measurements as that could be...a while from now. Stupid work and things in the way.

Thank you,

Douglas

Last edited:
Well, since you are in the US i guess you are buying them at vintage wheels. Maybe they know what backspacing you need? Davidmgbv8 also has a SGT chassis so he also might have the information you need.

Douglas, there is no one answer ! it depends on the actual suspension / hubs etc you are using , there are many different options that can be used, and SGT and AK have used several . Get it right before you buy your wheels, can be a very expensive mistake to get it wrong !

Hi doug. Avon ccrz tyres 295 50 15
Front 215 60 15
Image wheels are the main supplier.
15x10 and 15x8.as recommended by mick at sgt.mk1 body
This is Sgt chassis. Ali uprights.
Cheers shaun

Hi doug. Avon ccrz tyres 295 50 15
Front 215 60 15
Image wheels are the main supplier.
15x10 and 15x8.as recommended by mick at sgt.mk1 body
This is Sgt chassis. Ali uprights.
Cheers shaun
That is correct from what I have also known, but that tells nothing of the offset of the wheels themselves as that has to be defined when ordering, and as almost everyone ordered the wheels long before ever taking measurements, I assumed someone would know. I have been waiting in AK to reply and thought I would ask idut here as well because some choose some a little meatier and still have proper fit. As AK is using everything the same as SGT used with no changes in suspension and brakes.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
By the way if you need a complete of spinners I have a set of forged. You need to verify the height of threads on the hubs front and rear as mine were different and my rear hubs are at the machine shop having threads cut down to be the same height as the front so all 4 spinners go on properly.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
The nuts/spinners needs alittle play in them on the threads. Otherwise with the heatcycles they get very stuck on the threads… alu v steel.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
The nuts/spinners needs alittle play in them on the threads. Otherwise with the heatcycles they get very stuck on the threads… alu v steel.
You are correct Morten, When we milled the knock off's the heat of cutting the threads the fit on the front spindles fine but once cold they were tight. I used lapping compound to get a nice clearance. My hubs were 2.308 front and 2.315 rear so there was no lapping the rears in...Still at the machine shop to have the rears cut down.

Douglas,

I have a SGT40 factory built by Mick - standard width body with Mick's standard alloys.

His alloys are made by "Image" and they hold the dimensions on file.

I wanted a second set so contacted Image.

My alloys the "standard" spec, ie 8 x 15 and 10 x !5 for a standard width body.

As I said Image has on file the complete spec and were able to provide the second set based on this information.

Image alloys, both sets have a code stamped on them and it was the first set code that I confirmed with Image so that they were able to make the second identical set.

Sorry, this is so garbled, it's been a very long day.

If you want the code pm me or I can put it up on here.

Hope this is of some use.

Hi Douglas,

Not sure if you got final answer on wheels but mine for the ak are :
10" BY 15" rear
8" by 15 front
4.5 " offset on front and rear. ( inside )
this is measuring from mounting face to outside of rim ( not bead )
offset to the bead is 4"

Jerry

Back