Ford's Short Water Pump

Ford\'s Short Water Pump

Is anyone using Ford's short water pump and corresponding timing chain cover? According to Ford's 2005 Performance Parts catalog, they offer a short water pump (M-8501-E351S) that is 1.5" shorter than the standard water pump.

This seems like a no-brainer with the tight fit of the engine space in the GT.

Thanks

Bill D

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Ford\'s Short Water Pump

Note there is no provision for a mech. fuel pump (or space for the fuel pump eccentric) with the short cover.

Regards,

Al H.

That's OK. I'm using an electric fuel pump.

My concern is over the limited space in front of the engine. Seems like this is a solution that helps give some needed apace

I'm using it on a 4 bolt SVO race block but still had to build all of the front end equipment mounts, pulleys, and idlers to reduce the overall length of things. Because the block requires an external oil pump the front end equipment got complicated and there will still have to be a dimple in the firewall for the a/c compressor pulley.

Were it not for the external oil pump there would have been lots of room with a single belt.

Thanks Mike.

I'm using the 302 Sportsman block that uses the standard wet sump system. Ford also offers special 1-groove and 2-groove pulleys (crank, H2O and alt) that work with the short water pump and cover. I know I will need to make a special bracket for the A/C.

Bill D

Houston ...I have a cooling problem.

I'm running the E351 Ford short pump
with a timing cover I "assume" is from a reverse rotation engine,
since it has no boss for the fuel pump.
The pulleys are set up to run as standard rotation.

It appears I'm getting no flow through the radiator
(thermostat has been removed temporarily). At first I assumed this was simply air lock issues...but I'm pretty sure I've bled most of the air out. Now I'm wondering
if the box was mislabled and I'm actually running a
reverse rotation waterpump in the wrong direction,
or if the standard rotation pump is somehow incompatible
with the reverse rotation cover. Opinions ?
Thx

MikeD

Mike-

According to my FRPP Catalog, the E351S water pump is normal rotation. I couldn't find any information about the cover. Sorry.

Bill D

BillD

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

I'm using the short water pump and it is standard rotation.I did make sure I fitted the correct cover to suit the pump and it doesn't have the mechanical fuel pump holes.I believe the standard rotation suits 'V' belts and reverse rotation flat belt.I have the alternator mounted high and it protrudes through bulkhead, covered by a fabricated panel.Hope this helps, never had a cooling problem in 2 years racing.
Ross

Short pump, standard rotation with no v-belts!

Attachments

• 62041-IMG_0002_3.JPG
    62041-IMG_0002_3.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 553
May I suggest you scope out a Sunbeam Tiger water pump, which was shortened for fan to radiater clearance. I've heard you or a rebuilder can convert a regular 289 water pump to Tiger specifications with a press and a hacksaw. The Tiger guys may be able to clue you in to a source of the pulley.

Back