Tornado Big Block

I have just got my Tornado chassis second hand from a guy who had a change of heart with building the kit. The chassis is set up with engine mounts for a Ford small block. I have a Ford Big Block in my garage already and was wondering if anybody had ever fitted a Big Block engien in a Tornado GT40 replica.

Nobody Then

As no one has replied, can I assume that knowbody has done this yet? Is there a reason for this?

Ron Earp

Admin
Andy Sheldon would be the man to ask, and he sometimes posts here.

I assume you mean a FE big block since those seem to be of the most interest to Ford GT40/Cobra folks. I was thinking that Jerry Jansing, the former Roaring Forties agent, had doen up a RF chassis for a FE motor. The RF chassis and the Tornado chassis are very similar upon visual inspection. Jerry is "jercarnut" on this forum and sometimes reads and posts.

I don't know if CAV has done a FE installation, but I thought I'd see one running around somewhere. Lots of CAV folks around on the forum. Superformance will undoubtedly be doing FE installs in their replicas but aren't really represented strongly on the forum because they haven't delivered users cars yet, but are about to. Fran Hall at RCR I think can handle a FE, but you can email him or search around on the forum to check, he posts frequently. ERA has done FE installs for sure.

So, while I'm not sure if someone has done one in a Tornado, they have been done. And, if done elsewhere that suggests to me you can stuff one in a Tornado too!

Ron

Reasons this isn't popular:

1. Added weight of BB
2. Reduction in space for front dress and headers
3. Increased heat load
4. Few trannies capable of handling the torque
5. Few adapter kits for BB engines
6. Small blocks make equal power for less OVERALL cost
7. Few "true" MK II replica bodies available

MikeD

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I know that the original mono chassis has to be modified slightly to strengthen the engine mount area and also increase the clearance at the firewall. As mentioned the problem is getting a reliable transaxle. I know that era are producing gearboxes 'in house' for 427 engines and the engine is a dry sump with the oil reservior in the front of the car which also requires more plumbing. A ZF-2 gearbox was found to be 'inadequate' for the big block engine when they were developing the Mk II in the 60's and so Kar Kraft designed and built the 4 speed T44 transaxle for the Mk II's and J cars, good for 100mph in 1st gear!. You would also need a bellhousing for the gearbox and all of this is expensive.

I know that Brian Wingfield did build a T44 from scratch in a rebuild/replica of a Mk II but again your talking big money.

I would be interested how you get on with the search for a transaxle and dont want to disuade you in any way from trying to get a big block in a car. I would love to have a big block and a T44 in a Mk II.

BTW Chris Melia sells Mk II replica rear body clips, as does Fran Hall of RCR you might want to PM Fran as he is currently developing a Mk II and Mk IV GT kit.

Doc Watson

Thanks Guys for your responses. I will keep posting here to let you know how I finally do or don't succeed in the install.

Back