Chassis Design

Hello, I am looking into building a GT40 replica with my father. I was scrolling around on the internet and came across several people who had the CAD files with measurements, but I could not figure out where to get them at. I am not opposed to paying for them but if someone wanted to give them out I would greatly appreciate it and if no one does, I would appreciate some advice from some people who have already made one about how to go about making the chassis. I watched some YouTube videos of some guy from France making one but I couldn't ever figure out where he got his dimensions. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Dean

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Dean, the scratch build is difficult and you must be very talented. After much research I bought a Southern GT chassis to get the best head start. I then complicated things by getting a body made from molds off original cars by Bill Hough. Then much fiddling to get them to mate up and I am still not done. (project stalled). Southern GT is now being made by AK cars but there are component some issues there. RCR makes an Alloy chassis kit and their body and windshields fit together (important). If you want to get something that you can build and drive with in a few years and avoid overseas shipping then that may be your best route. Beware the kit is the entry fee, transaxles and engine selection is a critical up front decision.

Thank you very much, I am wanting to be able to get it done in about 5 or 6 years, so when I graduate college I have a cool car to drive. how would I go about talking to Bill Hough and I really appreciate you sharing your experience and I will most definitely take it into account. Thanks.

Hi
the guy in France who started his channel on you tube have drawn by himself the chassis tube just inspired like many others builder by old frame drawings existing on many forum and here also ....
There on our beloved forum ;) there was long time ago another French man who did similar work and he was so kind to post all drawings he did with so many pics of his built ; he was also very kind to allow everybody to use those drawings
The thread was named ; french riviera GT 40 or something like that .....
Personally I did not build any Gt40 chassis but just for fun I redraw a virtual chassis following most of his built to check if all dimensions where "liveable" and in fact they where and the chassis drawing was completed and had quite vey nice looking .....
So just follow same road and enjoy building your own chassis from blank page and lot of swear and tears :p
Good luck with our project
And remember to not start any framing or welding before to source our body !!!!!! Body is the "mother" of your project

EDIT ; I found the link ;http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/32106-riviera-scratchbuilt-gt40.html

Attachments

• Assemblage complet.JPG
    Assemblage complet.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 91

Neil

Supporter
Hi
the guy in France who started his channel on you tube have drawn by himself the chassis tube just inspired like many others builder by old frame drawings existing on many forum and here also ....
There on our beloved forum ;) there was long time ago another French man who did similar work and he was so kind to post all drawings he did with so many pics of his built ; he was also very kind to allow everybody to use those drawings
Personally I did not build any Gt40 chassis but just for fun I redraw a virtual chassis following most of his built to check if all dimensions where "liveable" and in fact they where and the chassis drawing was completed and had quite vey nice looking .....
So just follow same road and enjoy building your own chassis from blank page and lot of swear and tears :p
And remember to not start any framing or welding before to source our body !!!!!! Body is the "mother" of your project

EDIT ; I found the link ;http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/32106-riviera-scratchbuilt-gt40.html
When I was designing a space frame chassis for my Sable Mark III years ago I found the book "Sports and Racing Car Chassis Design" by Costin & Phipps to be very helpful. I was working for NRAO at that time and I was able to to use our IBM main frame computer and STRUD-L software for stress analysis. I could use it when it was not being used for "official business". As a double- check, I built a scale model chassis from Balsa wood and looked at its stiffness.

Hello, I am looking into building a GT40 replica with my father. I was scrolling around on the internet and came across several people who had the CAD files with measurements, but I could not figure out where to get them at. I am not opposed to paying for them but if someone wanted to give them out I would greatly appreciate it and if no one does, I would appreciate some advice from some people who have already made one about how to go about making the chassis. I watched some YouTube videos of some guy from France making one but I couldn't ever figure out where he got his dimensions. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Dean
all you need to know, to buy the needed medecin against upcoming head ache....
envoi it and best for 2024
Paul

Hi

hi, would you like to share with me the CAD? I managed to re-create the chassis, but I'm unable to figure out the front and rear suspension setup because in his thread he doesn't explain much about it ...

Back