5.4 Ford Lightning engine

hey guys does anyone know if there is a adapter made to mate the g50 to the 5.4 modular engine with the supercharger used in the svt f-150.
thanks
john

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: 5.4 lightning engine

I don't know of an adapter plate for the SOHC modular motor to G50, but it should be the same as the DOHC 5.4L motor (found in Lincoln Navigators, Ford GT) since the block bolt pattern is the same - as far as I know.

However, I've got a Lightning and I don't think there is any way that motor is going into a GT40. It is extremely tall with the Eaton supercharger and the way they did the liquid/air intercooler that sits on top of the motor. I suppose if you didn't mind the blower and throttle body sticking up over the top of the car it could be done, but otherwise I don't think it'd fit. You can get some height relief by using a Ford Racing Whipple blower on the motor, or a Kenne Bell screw blower, but the height difference isn't much.

You'd really need to convert it to a dry sump to get some height reduction as well as use an alternative blower. Even then I think you'd have a tough road to hoe. There are some pictures on the site showing a 5.4L DOHC Ford V8 in a GT40, looks really tight. Add another 10" on top for the blower and it becomes a real problem.

If for a GT40 do yourself a favor and build a good Windsor.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter

Here in Oz, Yella Terra have developed a supercharger kit that sits within the valley and is therefore no taller than the NA engine. See here!
It's a Whipple supercharger that they use.....

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin

Is that kit for the 5.4L motor or the 4.6L motor? They have different widths and intake needs.

That is a coolly packaged system for sure.

no problemo on the height she will be going into this.
Picture004.jpg

i have a 331 with a twin turbo setup,but i love the power of my lightning. i see these lightning motors on ebay all the time and was curious to see if it would mate to my g50. i think with the turbos there will be too much heat,and side clearance could be an issue.
motor2006.jpg

i was researching the ken bell flowzilla but i could probably get the whole 5.4 set up for the same price as the supercharger.
thanks chris i will be contacting you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin

What kinds of car are you making? Your Lightning is identical to mine if that is an 04, and she looks like she is. You're right on the Flowzilla stuff, they are not cheap. I've been thinking of doing one of the larger Whipples on mine, but the problem is the rods as I'm sure you know. I can already make 430 rwhp and 505 rwtq with the stock stuff and a decent tune, more could be had with living on the edge, but I can't afford to send rods through the block at this point in time.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Here in Oz, Yella Terra have developed a supercharger kit that sits within the valley and is therefore no taller than the NA engine. See here!
It's a Whipple supercharger that they use.....

Bill

Hi Bill, Do you have any idea how fitting a supercharger would effect Rego? I.E. Would the car remain street legal. I have a boss Ford and your post has got me thinking.

that is correct it is a diablo chassis. sorry to come to the forum with an odd ball car, but she will be powered by a ford engine,and yes ron the lightning is an 04. god i love that truck. forced induction in a v8, the only way to go.
thanks for the info guys. my brand new 331w/ turbos and extra trick flow track heat intake may soon be for sale or trade for a 4.6 04 cobra motor or a 5.4 lightning motor.
thanks again
john

Back