porsche 928

hi all
am thinking of building a gt40 scratch build and using as much parts from a porsche 928s4 engine, brakes, hubs ,etc , is there anyone who has used this engine before and what do you think?

Do a search on here, its use and application in a GT40 has been talked about before. Its pretty much a NO NO as the 928 uses a torque tube type transmission and is not suitable for a GT40.

I hope this helps

Keith

hi all
am thinking of building a gt40 scratch build and using as much parts from a porsche 928s4 engine, brakes, hubs ,etc , is there anyone who has used this engine before and what do you think?

Hi Jonny, forgive me but I am a bit confused (being a senior citizen) you say you are thinking of a "scratch build" yet you are advertising chassis and GT40 GRP bodies to order elsewhere which would indicate that you are a manufacturer. If you are indeed a manufacturer here in the UK, I personally would like to learn more. Please elucidate...

Cheers,

Keith

i use to own a 928 before and its got such a strong engine it just seemed to be bullet proof, my thinking was to buy a damaged car etc and if i can use as much parts from it like brakes hubs etc, i relise they have a torque tube , when i say scratch build have chassis plans for a space frame and i own a set of mould tools for a gt40 mk11 my buisness is building 35ft sports fishers,and flybridge boats i do sell gt40 bodies to raise funds for my own gt40 build .

Mike Pass

Supporter
I remember trying to sort one out some years ago. From what I remember it wasn't all that light and we dumped the motor in the end as they have nikisil bores and once the bores are worn the block is finished. But why bother anyway as a Ford small block is simple cheap, easily tuned, more period correct and sounds great.
Cheers
Mike

i use to own a 928 before and its got such a strong engine it just seemed to be bullet proof, my thinking was to buy a damaged car etc and if i can use as much parts from it like brakes hubs etc, i relise they have a torque tube , when i say scratch build have chassis plans for a space frame and i own a set of mould tools for a gt40 mk11 my buisness is building 35ft sports fishers,and flybridge boats i do sell gt40 bodies to raise funds for my own gt40 build .

There is a big plus there--- you have the boats to use an anchor -that would be the most appropriate use for the 928 engine! It is a heavy lump with questionable reliability and power production. Any of the American V8's are far more suitable and much cheaper to get HP from.

The 928 lump is a pretty robust, heavy, and massive powerplant. Using it presents a few issues that you may not encounter with some other powerplants. You can't use the entire drivetrain as the trans is in the rear of the car, and the engine in the front, also you will likely have to fabricate some adapter plate to get it to fit to any suitable transmission. Also I'm not sure of price sin the UK but 928's of later vintage still bring a polished polished penny in the US, wrecked or not.

The plusses are the 928 mill can be stroked to well over 6 liters if your pockets are deep enough and the design is still state of the art by todays standards.

Back