Storing an engine...and some build questions

My grandmother gave me my late grandfather's Ford F100, which promptly burned to the ground (old rubber fuel line to the carb). Surprisingly the engine was pretty much ok. The firefighters who got there 30 minutes later couldn't get the hood open to spray the block which probably saved it from cracking.

I've taken the 302 apart and I'll need to store it until I have the money to build some sort of monstrosity (cobra/gt40/etc). Any suggestions on how best to prep/lube so parts won't rust? I think I'm going to dump everything into some large plastic bins but I don't know what to coat it all with.

Also can anyone point me in the direction to go for rebuilding. I'm looking to keep it reliable. Any preferred machine shops in Indianapolis?

I don't think I would rebuild that engine. A 30 minute burn probably did some damage. A rebuildable block from a junkyard only costs about $100 and is probably less likely to be damaged than one out of a fire damaged vehicle. If you do decide to use it start with a good cleaning and magnafluxing.

At a minimum I would ask whoever you use for machine work what he thinks about using a fire damaged block before spending much money on it.

This is good advice. The real reason for using this block is for sentimental value. Even though most anything would be better, and quite possibly cheaper, I still have to use it as long as there's no cracks. Looks good so far, everything turns nicely, bores aren't too bad.

You can buy small packets of desiccant- eBay usually has them- and put a handful in a sealed bag with the part after giving the exposed metal a light coating of oil. I live where the humidity is really bad, and it's worked well for me.
I've also found that tools and parts stored in wooden boxes don't seem to rust like they will in a steel toolbox, but that's just an impression.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Can't recommend a shop in your area but I know of one in southern MN that can do a fine job for you when you're ready.

Protection -

x2 on the dessicant

I would spray and wipe everything down with Motorcycle Chain Lube (Super high cling factor)..

Chuck

Supporter
Woody's Automotive, 125 Oak Street, Thornton, IN 46071, (317)-436-7047, not too far north of Indy, built my 427 SO three years ago. Did a nice job. Even came to my house (four hours away) to replace a faulty intake gasket a year after I took delivery. The engine has run like a top ever since. Good service, good work. Talk to Woody.

If you need to store brightwork or bare metals, one of the best and cheapest solutions is to coat it in petroleum jelly ( Vaseline) which works much better than grease or oils, and cleans easily with no deterioration. Frank

I ended up using coating the entire thing in wheel bearing grease then placing it in a giant plastic container and splashed in some oil.

I'm sure this has been covered, but any opinions on stroker kits, 331 vs. 347?

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
...I'm sure this has been covered, but any opinions on stroker kits, 331 vs. 347?

It's been covered a number of times.

Suggest taking the ol' Search function out for a spin and see what it'll do. You may be surprised!

Back