Any ideas who made this Tacho?

Does anybody have any idea who made this tacho (fitted to a Mk.II at LM'66)??:confused:

The Bezel looks like a Stewart Warner design (who also made the other dash instruments) - but I can't find any reference to this model if it was one of theirs.

tacho.jpg

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Stewart Warner 5" plus.
Possibly a competition department or aircraft gauge. I know Smiths had a Comp team at Cricklewood for their specials.

PS - Is that the ubiquitous MKII teardrop marker light to the right of the photo ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the post (sorry for late reply - have been offshore doing oil stuff again). Yep I think it is the same part that illuminates the ignition switches that was used as a side marker ('66 Ranchero licence plate light) but it doesn't seem to have any part number cast in that I can see - maybe it was filled before it was painted black???

I'll email SW and ask about the gauge (it can't hurt), I have no idea if the Tacho was a competition special but they may be able to let me know

In my experiance most modern era light aircraft tachos run up to about 2500rpm as the prop tips will go supersonic much above this (unless a reduction gear is fitted), so I reckon that this probably isn't one of the aircraft sourced Mk.II bits - knowing my luck it probably was only fitted to Korean P-51Hs or something else exotic!!!:eek: :rolleyes:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
It looks very similar to a Jones/Motrola that I have. They are still in business, and make a bunch of old mech tachs. They also were branded under Moroso and I had called them a year ago to see if they could change the face plate back to a Jones and they said not a problem.

Welcome to Schulze

This is the link for the place that now owns the Jones/Motrola. The fellow I spoke with was Tom Schulze and is was very helpful.

HTH

Sandy
P.S. You can find them on EBAY for pretty cheep. Most are Moroso branded, but that is fixable :)

Back