Trouble with Vinyl.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi, my Ford GT-P's vinyl stripes on the bonnet have been degraded and crazed by either the sun or the engine heat and look crappy.
I have tried removing them using the hair dryer method but no go.
Does anyone know of a product/solvent that will remove the vinyl and glue without effecting the paint?

In the past I have used some rapid remover from a company called www.thevinylcorporation.co.uk This used with a plastic blade should do the trick. I presume you will have similar products in the states. Would be advisable to try on a small part of the paint which is not visable first but has been fine on the factory paints here in the uk. You have to watch how long you leave it on for for it to work effectively.
Hope this helps

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
There are some tools that are essentially rubber wheels that rub the vinyl off and don't mar the paint. I've used these to remove pin-stripe vinyl and small amounts of lettering to great success and with zero paint damage.

Sign Supplies and Equipment: Stripe Eliminator - Tool to assist in vinyl removal - Low Price Guarantee

When larger areas of vinyl are involved, I use heat and my fingers. It's painfully slow, but doesn't damage the car paint. Even cracked vinyl should come off easier if it's warm. The glue residue can be removed with a commercial sign vinyl solvent (see link below) or using "rubber cement thinner" available from most graphic supply/art shops.

Sign Supplies and Equipment: Orange Peel Adhesive Remover - Remover - Low Price Guarantee

The links above are just so you know what to look for. These should be suppliers in Aus that can get it to you easier than from the US.

Mark

Pete:
The tool that Mark mentions works really well. I have a version sold by Snap-on, don't know if you can get that stuff down your way. The rubber is a tan color and actually smells like vanilla, the wheel turns rather slowly so as not to burn the paint. I have taken stripes off that have been on paint for some years.
Also, try soaking the vinyl with mineral spirits, a friend of mine who does vinyl signs uses it to remove old stuff before applying new decals.
Cheers
Phil

Back