GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > GT40 Technical Forums > GT40 Tech - Exterior, Interior, AC, & Trim

GT40 Tech - Exterior, Interior, AC, & Trim All that other stuff not in categories above.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th February 2011, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Big-Foot
Super Moderator
United States

GT40: RCR40 - #45
Arrow Catch me if you can - Door Latches & Strikers...

Sorry about the attempt to be smart..

If you've followed along with some of the other threads I've posted, you'll know that I wanted to do something different / special with the doors on my GT40.
I wanted to implement some sort of system that would make the doors a bit more safer, solid and to ensure that the body would maintain alignment and the doors latching would be repeatable year after year.

Well to do this I started out with creating Anti-Intrusion Beams (seen here);
Pardon the INTRUSION - GT40 Safety

I thought you fellows might like to see what I've been up to. There's been a couple of others that have fabricated their latch / catch in a similar manner.

Well I've finally progressed to the point of bringing Latch and striker together.

I used 1 x 2 mild steel .120" wall rectangular tubing that I cut and profiled to fit around the main hoop of my roll cage.

The striker bolt is (will be) adjustable in that the hole for the bolt is a bit larger than the striker bolt itself and there will be hardened serrated washers on either side to clamp tight to the rectangular tubing.

Only tack welded in place for now - but will be fully TIG welded when I pull the cage from the chassis to have it powder coated.

I've also anchored the Spider in numerous places to the cage and will follow up with a thread on that soon..

and finally - the latched door

GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs
My build site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 28th February 2011, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gravy
10 tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: Zip, Zero, None
Re: Catch me if you can - Door Latches & Strikers...

Randy,

that looks great - nice one!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 28th February 2011, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
zetecmk2
3 Tenths
United States

GT40: pile of bits!

nice, pratical and obvious.....why has it taken so long for someone to do this???
Old 1st March 2011, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Big-Foot
Super Moderator
United States

GT40: RCR40 - #45

Thanks guys....

I spent a bit more time on it yesterday and the doors open and close quite nicely now..
My only issue is that the bulb seal up on the A-Pillar is a bit on the thick side and puts a fair amount of force on the door when it's closing. I'm probably going to look into changing this out for a different seal before the final filling/sanding of the door tops and roof are done.
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs
My build site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
bear, catch, claw, door, latch, striker