In Car Stereo

I am presently fitting the electric loom into the car and was considering whether I should install a stereo system. I can fit the speakers in the door, but not sure on the best place for the stereo unit. I apologise if this question has been already asked by others, but if anyone has installed a stereo and has any photos to share of where they have positioned it, that would be most helpful (I will probably fit the system after the IVA).
Thanks in advance<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Ian<o:p></o:p>

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ian

In reality I doubt you would use it
Sitting 3 inches from the front of a V8 is noisy

At 70mph on the motorway cruise in mine I need to shout to be heard
Under acceleration not a chance the passenger will hear you

Ian

Ian, I went down the same thought process when mine was built. I had MDA modify the dash to fit a head set in and put speakers in the doors as you suggest. I disaggree with some of the other comments about not needing a stereo as when you do a long drive you sometimes needs more than that V8 sound, wonderful though it is. I did 700 miles in one day and believe me music kept me sane!. So a few tips. Get a head unit that takes memory cards (usually SD) or at least a front panel USB input, solid state does not skip or take up any space in an already cramped cockpit. Also look for a separate amp (mine is a 600W beast set at 45 deg from vertical in the passenger footwell, this takes up the least space and passengers can still stretch out OK. If you get a smaller one it could fit behind the seat. I have attached a few photos showing mine, although it was not the subject of the photo so does not show it fully. I can take and send more if you want. Note the amp was not fitted in these pics, I added that later.

Attachments

• March 08 int 1.jpg
    March 08 int 1.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 370
  • March 08 int 05.jpg
    March 08 int 05.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 317
  • March 08 int 4.jpg
    March 08 int 4.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 316
Ian B, hate to say this but I'm in agreement with Ian A. Truth be told the only thing I'd do is go the Ipod route with ear pieces. Simplest solution IMHO. Regardless, good luck with it.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi guys

When I built my 40 I made sure that the cabin was soundproofed as I could not live with the loud motor sound on long trips.

This enabled me to have a stereo in the dash coupled to speakers in the side panels of the footwells.

This works very well and the sound proofing allows me to be able to talk normally to my passenger or listen to the stereo.

Attachments

• 40 Dash.jpg
    40 Dash.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 456
Hi guys

When I built my 40 I made sure that the cabin was soundproofed as I could not live with the loud motor sound on long trips.

This enabled me to have a stereo in the dash coupled to speakers in the side panels of the footwells.

This works very well and the sound proofing allows me to be able to talk normally to my passenger or listen to the stereo.

Dimi, what did you use for sound deadening?

DRB's tend to have speakers in the top forward section of the door, above a handy remote interior door latch. Stereo head units tend to be central under the dashboard, although one in the attached pics is to one side. I've also seen the head unit installed in the driver's door.

Attachments

• 9910097.jpg
    9910097.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN3574A.jpg
    DSCN3574A.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 398
  • 8289554.jpg
    8289554.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 337

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Al

The firewall between the engine and cabin is a 2 piece panel with fibreglass insulation inside and carpeted on the cabin side.
The inside of the doors has been carpeted.
The rear cabin window is laminated glass.
The area around the rear window is Marine Ply covered in foam and leather.
The inside roof of the spider is filled with Marine Ply and covered in foam and leather.
The floor is covered with foam and 2 layers of carpet.
All the foam used is high density which insulates as well as sound proofs.

Dimi

Back