Trimming headlight covers

I got a set of headlight covers (RCRs, very nice BTW) that are slightly oversize for my cutouts. How do you go about trimming the plexiglass to fit just right?

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I'm in the process of installing all new plexiglass on my KVA, I have no idea how others are doing it but I found an air powered body saw to be best to get a close outline and then finishing with a surform.

Julian

If we are cutting Lexan a good pair of sheet metal or tin snips have worked good for us as long as the material isn't more than aroxx. 120.th thick. When I do plexi I use an air saw to get close ,and then a high speed 36 grit small sander/grinder with final finish sanding as the plexi is much more brittle.............m

Dremel with cutoff blade and then 60grit on my Porter Cable hand sander did the trick and I think this is Lexan as it is very pliable. Tough stuff by the looks of it. Pretty thick.

If you have quite a bit to take off I've had good results dressing the edge on a bench belt sander. If you don't have one you can grip a handheld version upside down in a vice. Then you can hold the part in both hands and squat or kneel down to get a good view of what you are doing. Mark where you need to trim with with felt tip pen so you can see not to take too much off.

Cheers

Fred W B

I also use a large 6" X 48" belt sander but I remove the table and lay the belt horizontal and sand inline with the plexi glass at a slight taper.
Remember sand a little and check often as these machines remove a lot of material in a hurry.
The other method I use is a jointer but you need to be even more careful not to chip the edges as I broke my spare rear window with the jointer with just one slip.
Regards,
Mark

Back