Clutch Stuck

HI When removing the the Clutch from the flywheel, The disc had glued it's self to the flywheel. As this will be setting for ??? before I get everything hooked up is there any thing I can put on this at reassembly to prevent this from sticking again ?????

I've seen this happen before - I think it happens as the clutch plate friction material absorbs moisture and then rusts / sticks to the flywheel face. You dont want to be putting any grease or oil on there as when you finally use the car - the clutch willl slip. Not sure if there are any products you can use on there though.

Try putting a very thin plastic membrane ( the type you wrap food in ) between the surfaces, the moment you go to operate the clutch it will be destroyed in seconds and leave you with a perfect clutch

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I would pull the car with a tow strap and the clutch pressed till it broke loose then slip it many times to clean both flywheel and disk. I wouldn't smoke it but just slip it till its clean. Then drive it more. Old fashion way of fixing stuck clutch.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I've seen this happen before - I think it happens as the clutch plate friction material absorbs moisture and then rusts / sticks to the flywheel face. You dont want to be putting any grease or oil on there as when you finally use the car - the clutch willl slip. Not sure if there are any products you can use on there though.

Paul
Now where did you see that?

My clutch was "welded" to the flywheel and would not release and Paul and I pulled it apart using a paint scraper and hammer!

Once released I slipped the clutch a lot and it works well now.

I did pack the car up once after a run home in the rain and it welded itself again (probably left in the garage 5 or 6 weeks - damned UK weather!)

I selected 1st and hit the starter with the clutch depressed and it broke loose - or I'd have been pulling the box again! Since then I have started the car at least every 2 weeks and slipped the clutch in 1st and reverse a few times to stop it reurring (also makes me smile just listening to the noise!)

Frank's idea sounds good for a unit that will be left untouched for a while.

But I would then ask if it is being left for that long will the pressure springs loose these effectiveness over time and reduce clutch effectiveness over time - especially with a high output motor would possibly be better to assemble just prior to fitting the engine

Ian

Franks idea is perfect if you have had the clutch apart, if not adjust the release arm or pushrod up so that the clutch is in the released position( just & no more ) .

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Wally,

Use some butchers paper or a paper bag and pull it out via the clutch fork access before driving. You don't want any extra stuff floating around in there when you "drop the hammer"

HI Thanks to all for the ideas. I like Franks idea and will use it at reasembly. The real problem was someone has primer painted the flywheel and the clutch had imbeded itself in the paint. Does anyone have a part # for the clutch slave cyliner for the Renault transaxle ????? any idea where to get one in the USA ???? Thanks

I'd recommend lifting the rear wheels off the ground then revving the engine up to redline and then violently dropping the car onto its wheels. This allows you to punch a nice sized hole in the back wall of the garage and STILL have a stuck clutch when you finally come to rest after stalling it with the brakes.

The above procedure was devised by two high school age idiots whom I know.....one of whom I know VERY well.

HI Dave Thanks I was able to get the piston out after all, ( Shop air wouldn't do it but 16-1800 psi of Nitrogen moved it just fine ) NAPA has the Rebuild kit on order hopefully I can get this reasembled so I can here this run before the Snow flys

My Kubota tractor has a block of wood that comes with the tractor new. It's purpose is to hold the clutch pedal down while in storage for a period of time. The block of wood is positioned between the floorboard and the clutch arm. This keeps the disc from touching the flywheel. This could be used with maybe a brick or something else to keep the clutch from freezing onto the flywheel. Just an idea that would be easier than removing the trans.

My Kubota tractor has a block of wood that comes with the tractor new. It's purpose is to hold the clutch pedal down while in storage for a period of time. The block of wood is positioned between the floorboard and the clutch arm. This keeps the disc from touching the flywheel. This could be used with maybe a brick or something else to keep the clutch from freezing onto the flywheel. Just an idea that would be easier than removing the trans.

I can see that working on a mechanical linkage, but I wonder how it would work with a hydraulic clutch. Would the system hold the pressure for an extended length of time such as several months? In theory it should, but real life is often different.

Hi Can anyone tell me what the bolt threads are on the rear cover of a Renault UN1 ??? I picked up 8 MM 1.25 by 50 to attach a muffler bracket on these bolts, These are finer then that or ???? Would real like to find studs if avalable there is also a shifter bracket on these requiring the stud length need to be 60 MM Thanks

Back