GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > GT40 Technical Forums > GT40 Tech - Powertrain/Transaxles

GT40 Tech - Powertrain/Transaxles Transaxles and driveline - don't dare post engine things here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2012, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
NickTruman
United Kingdom

GT40: sadly not
Audi V8 - 012 gearbox

Hi Guys
I dont have a GT40, sorry! but I have made a replica Zonda R inspired thing. It was powered by a twin turbo Jag V12 coupled to an 012 transaxle with a redrilled Audi 80 flywheel and clutch. All was good until the engine blew.
So I have now fitted a 32 valve Audi V8, again using the same gearbox.

Someone suggested that you experts here might know what is the best flywheel and clutch setup yo use with my setup?

any help will be gratefuly received!!

By the way, I used the Audi 80 diesel gearbox which is a great tranaxle and I had no issues with the Jag v12 at 1 bar boost, it flew!

Cheers
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zonda_Bahrain.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	61240  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10th October 2012, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
tractorboy
10 tenths
United States

GT40: CAV # 82
Re: Audi V8 - 012 gearbox

Nick, please provide photos of the Audi 012 transaxle mated to your V12 if possible. This group is always interested in transaxle options and the 012 might be something to consider. Scott Dewitt....any thoughts on this as an option to the O1E or o16?
BTW, Nick I'd contact Scott Dewitt with www.AdvancedAutomotion.com he appears to be quite well versed in Audi gear.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10th October 2012, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
NickTruman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorboy View Post
Nick, please provide photos of the Audi 012 transaxle mated to your V12 if possible. This group is always interested in transaxle options and the 012 might be something to consider. Scott Dewitt....any thoughts on this as an option to the O1E or o16?
BTW, Nick I'd contact Scott Dewitt with www.AdvancedAutomotion.com he appears to be quite well versed in Audi gear.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	South Bucks-20120926-00161.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	61242   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6454.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	61243   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6453.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	61244  
Old 10th October 2012, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
kaspa
Bronze Supporter
Australia

GT40: i wish

thats good to hear, as i have just purchased an 012 box from a V6 deisel to go behind a mild 302 SBF in a single seater. the ratios are spot on, i dont have to flip it, and the bonus was it was as cheap as chips.

cheers John
Old 10th October 2012, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
NickTruman
United Kingdom

Hi John
Its a great gearbox, the only issue for me is what flywheel to use with a v8 abh
cheers
nick
Old 11th October 2012, 05:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
RamboLambo
3 Tenths
New Zealand

GT40: Whangarei New Z

Just wondering Nick, who made the chassis? I would be looking seriously at those rear shock mounts and how they are located.
Old 11th October 2012, 05:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
NickTruman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboLambo View Post
Just wondering Nick, who made the chassis? I would be looking seriously at those rear shock mounts and how they are located.

Hi Bruce
I made the chassis As the car evolved bits have had to be trimmed off here and there to fit new bits. One mount had to be trimmed to allow the V12's left turbo to fit correctly, but there is a torsion bar that goes between the 2 mounts for extra rigidity

I based the design of the chassis on the Ultima and so far its stood the test of time with no issues
Old 11th October 2012, 06:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
NickTruman
United Kingdom

Can i use a dual mass flywheel and clutch with a petrol V8 and an 012 gearbox?
Old 13th October 2012, 04:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Frances
Singapore

please provide photos of the Audi 012 transaxle mated to your V12 if possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nike NFL jerseys shop.
Old 13th October 2012, 06:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
NickTruman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
please provide photos of the Audi 012 transaxle mated to your V12 if possible.

Old 21st October 2012, 12:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
NH Mark
Rookie
United States

GT40: NA

Nick I am using a Audi abz 32 valve V8 and the 012 box and i used 034 motor sports flywheel insert worked perfect then it is just a matter of buying the clutch and pressure plate you want i went with a stock pressure plate and a unsprung clutch from ebay i think it was a F1 racing 6 puck
Old 21st October 2012, 09:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
NickTruman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Mark View Post
Nick I am using a Audi abz 32 valve V8 and the 012 box and i used 034 motor sports flywheel insert worked perfect then it is just a matter of buying the clutch and pressure plate you want i went with a stock pressure plate and a unsprung clutch from ebay i think it was a F1 racing 6 puck
Hi Mark
I am using a VW VR6 flywheel that has been machined, and using the flex-plate for the starter, The whole lot weighs 7kgs. I can use any VW clutch now
I will ave to drill and tap through the VR6's clutch bolt holes to bolt the flex-plate to the flywheel and align the 10 flywheel bolts holes up. I guess it will need balancing afterwards