Porsche Boxster transmission

Hi folks, did anyone ever think of trying or does anyone use a Porsche Boxster transmission?
It is based on the Audi transmission and could work fine adapted to V8s with use of the original Porsche shifter...it is all midengine layout and should be strong enough.

The Boxster transmission is not too expansive over here, you'll find good used ones for around 800$...

I have a problem with some of these transaxles. Not this particular choice but the whole transaxle/adaptor industry. I have driven quite a few v8 mid engined cars and the gear/final drive ratios never seem to suit the characteristics of the engines. This is more pronounced in the stroker or larger capacity conversions. 1st gear on some of these are almost redundant and then in top they seem to be revving a lot higher per mph than is perhaps ideal. My brother had an ultima with a 500hp 383 chev bolted to a g50 , he only ever used 1st 3rd and top gear. A v8 torque monster in a lightweight car needs something different.

Bob

I have made a number of adapters for V8s to the Boxster transmissions. The 6-speed from the Boxster S or Cayman us the better choice. Like a previous poster says, the gear ratios are not ideal for a V8 but the price of the transmission makes it attractive.

I think you are better off running a stock stroke 302 put on some heads that breathe and then cam it to rev which may then suit these transmissions.

Bob.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
I have a problem with some of these transaxles. Not this particular choice but the whole transaxle/adaptor industry. I have driven quite a few v8 mid engined cars and the gear/final drive ratios never seem to suit the characteristics of the engines. This is more pronounced in the stroker or larger capacity conversions. 1st gear on some of these are almost redundant and then in top they seem to be revving a lot higher per mph than is perhaps ideal. My brother had an ultima with a 500hp 383 chev bolted to a g50 , he only ever used 1st 3rd and top gear. A v8 torque monster in a lightweight car needs something different.

Bob

Hi Bob
As much as we would all agree with you it comes down to what is available and at an acceptable price.

We can only work with the available components.

I have a G50 in my 40 and as my main use is long distance driving I had taller 4th and 5th gears added which brings the revs right down at highway speeds and makes it much more tractable.

G50 transaxles are very easily changed to suit a big V8 by altering the gears and or the diff ratios.

Dimi

Dimi I am on your side with the g50 and the some of the other transaxles out there, I was just pointing out that they suit engines with a broader rev range than the strokers which was why I was referring 302 and let it scream theme. We have a g50 bolted to a 302 in a 40 and its great but like I said the 383 chev/g50 in my brothers ultima was hopeless , perhaps the 4 speed turbo box is a better option on the bigger engines.

Bob

Thanks guys, this is starting to be an interesting diskussion because I am just before the decision which engine and which transmission to go for...
I like the idea with a higher reving 283 or 302 instead of a torque monster...
Makes sense with an european 5 or 6 speed tranny!

Hi guys

When I finnished my DRB GT 40 with a G50 and LS1. I was disapointed with the ratios. 1st gear was a stump puller and I chose not to use it much, and 5th was to busy at hiway speeds.
I fitted a Albins 3.1 crownwheel and plnion and it transformed the car instantly, a little expensive but it realy did transform the car.

Darrell

Thanks guys, this is starting to be an interesting diskussion because I am just before the decision which engine and which transmission to go for...
I like the idea with a higher reving 283 or 302 instead of a torque monster...
Makes sense with an european 5 or 6 speed tranny!

I too am about to face this potential issue with my project. I will be using an LS6 motor out if a 02 Z06 with a Boxster S (G86-20 transaxle) and wonder about drivability with this setup. Have you made a decision regarding which setup you will use and which if any modifications to gearing you might consider?

Hi guys

When I finnished my DRB GT 40 with a G50 and LS1. I was disapointed with the ratios. 1st gear was a stump puller and I chose not to use it much, and 5th was to busy at hiway speeds.
I fitted a Albins 3.1 crownwheel and plnion and it transformed the car instantly, a little expensive but it realy did transform the car.

Darrell

Hello Darrell, do you know if the Albins crownwheel that you used would be beneficial in a LS6 with Boxster S 6 sp Trans or could you offer suggestions or alternatives?

I have made a number of adapters for V8s to the Boxster transmissions. The 6-speed from the Boxster S or Cayman us the better choice. Like a previous poster says, the gear ratios are not ideal for a V8 but the price of the transmission makes it attractive.

Hello Eric, regarding the use of a stock V8 (LS6 with 400 hp) and G86-20 (6sp Boxster Trans) and possible issues with gearing, how bad would first and sixth gearing be and if difficult to drive/live with what do you recommend?
Thanks,
Mike

Hello Eric, regarding the use of a stock V8 (LS6 with 400 hp) and G86-20 (6sp Boxster Trans) and possible issues with gearing, how bad would first and sixth gearing be and if difficult to drive/live with what do you recommend?
Thanks,
Mike[/QUOTE]

Mike,
First is pretty low but with 6 gears you can just not use first for the most part. It is good for loading on a trailer or pulling into parking spaces or a garage. Sixth could be taller for a V8 but with the taller tires most of these cars use it isn't too bad. I don't know if anyone is offering a ring and pinion for these but I did have someone contact me who said he was having some taller 6th gears made but I haven't heard from him for a while.

Thanks Eric, just waiting for kit to be delivered, expected Monday March 3, 2014.
Mike

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,
First is pretty low but with 6 gears you can just not use first for the most part. It is good for loading on a trailer or pulling into parking spaces or a garage. Sixth could be taller for a V8 but with the taller tires most of these cars use it isn't too bad. I don't know if anyone is offering a ring and pinion for these but I did have someone contact me who said he was having some taller 6th gears made but I haven't heard from him for a while.[/QUOTE]

Mike, the 012,[G 86] 5 speed I fitted to the 5000 has the following at a 6500 red line
1st - 3.5, 36mph
2nd - 1.94, 65 mph
3rd - 1.2, 104mph
4th - 0.875, 145 mph
5th - 0.69, 185 mph
and with the torque of the LS you can virtualy please your self whether you want to rev its ring out or leave it in what ever gear, as in a 1000lb car it will light up the 15x15 back tyres with very little effort in 1,2,3, and 4th if you give it a welly full.
how quick do you want to be?

cheers John

Axel

Don't know if boxter is a 5 or 6speed but if you are looking for the 206 and are on 13" wheels you may want to look at the audi 6 speed diesel.
I think they have a taller diff.

Jim

You want to use the Boxster S/Cayman 6-speed rather than the 5-speed. Stronger and I think that 6th gear is taller. Contact Scott at Advanced Automotion and he can give you the details on the Audi diesel transmission.

Hi John, my priority isn't really quickness, with 400hp in a car weighing approximately 2500 lbs quickness should be satisfactory? I'm looking for comfort and drive-ability, my trans is the Boxster S 6 speed so it should provide, as Eric has indicated, a bit taller 6th which hopefully will be ok at highway speeds?

Regards,
Mike

Mike, the 012,[G 86] 5 speed I fitted to the 5000 has the following at a 6500 red line
1st - 3.5, 36mph
2nd - 1.94, 65 mph
3rd - 1.2, 104mph
4th - 0.875, 145 mph
5th - 0.69, 185 mph
and with the torque of the LS you can virtualy please your self whether you want to rev its ring out or leave it in what ever gear, as in a 1000lb car it will light up the 15x15 back tyres with very little effort in 1,2,3, and 4th if you give it a welly full.
how quick do you want to be?

cheers John

You just need to find the right porsche/audi box with the right ratios. There's a good variety of ratios out there. Several of the audi boxes have ratios designed for a low-revving diesel engine....this means they are decent boxes for a GT40 with a usable 1st gear and semi-relaxed freeway cruising (~2,500rpm). I realize the porsche boxes aren't set up with ratios for a diesel engine however.

Of course, the size of your rear wheel will have a large effect here...in the same way your crown/pinion ratio does. Bigger is better generally.

Has anyone swaped gears on the Boxster trans?
This is a common practise on the Porsche 914/901 trans in V8 application. 4th and 5th gear are swapped with various reversed 3rd gear ratios so that the driven gear becomes the driving gear.
I am iterested if this is possible on the boxster trans.

Thank you for your intelligable response.:blank:

Albins makes a .63 overdrive for the Boxster s/Cayman 6-speed but that is the only aftermarket gear I know of. A taller R&P would be a good thing but would be rather expensive I imagine.

Back