Scratch Built in need of Transaxle ideas

Making an axle to mate the supplied inner CV to the suspensions outer CV is very doable.

If you prefer there's dozens of FWD american sporty sedans that also could be tasty little drive trains. The Dodge intrepid LH platforms have the very nice 3.5 L that has the benefit ( if you see it as such) of being transverse. Almost all of the others are transverse.

There were a few 3800 buicks that were supercharged.

I put a 2000 Taurus 3L duratec with a 2000 Cougar transaxle in the back of a Kelmark

I looked at the 5Valve 2.5L v6 passat, but decided to not get sucked into the extra cost of German parts.
Man, you sound well versed in this topic haha. Love it. I've heard of the intrepid...240hp I think. not too bad, could probably be pushed up to 300 pretty easily. Yeah, the transverse thing would be great, because there seems to be quite a few transverse transaxles out there, but the engine bay in the lotus is relatively narrow and won't take anything but a longitudinal set up.
The buicks made similar 250hp correct?
Now the cougar trans, I have not heard of...how strong is it? and Kelmark, would love to see pics of that puppy.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
So many years ago the popular thing to do was a Ford SHO swap into the Esprit. Guy had stopped in the north Houston area 17 years ago and showed off to a lot of us and took for a ride. Wow was that impressive and sounded great and a shove in the back when he put the power down. 250hp in an Esprit is a lot. So while powertrains are the easy part of your equation, many to choose from it becomes down to the dreaded transxale.

So many years ago the popular thing to do was a Ford SHO swap into the Esprit. Guy had stopped in the north Houston area 17 years ago and showed off to a lot of us and took for a ride. Wow was that impressive and sounded great and a shove in the back when he put the power down. 250hp in an Esprit is a lot. So while powertrains are the easy part of your equation, many to choose from it becomes down to the dreaded transxale.
Yup. longitudinal transaxle is the bane of my existence right now. Its looking like I may have to go manual to handle the engine I want.

Use the maxima transaxle. You'll get one with the car, already all mated up. Only pooge is the axles... unless the track is close enough you can use the half shafts and unit bearings.

Also, computer issues become not an issue.
also just realized the maxima uses a transverse set up...won't fit the esprit bay. unless I was searching the wrong model.

Attachments

• IMG_1290.JPG
    IMG_1290.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1288.JPG
    IMG_1288.JPG
    386.2 KB · Views: 111
Took some monkey business to make the UCA work...

It's not super obvious in the picture, but the pick up point should be at the front bearing of the alternator

Attachments

• IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 120
I dare not say it but maybe offer someone with an automatic Delorean a trade for transaxle.
believe it or not, i've thought of this too. Its out of the box thinking which I love, but, yeah, finding one is nearly impossible,...and expensive, but you are correct, this would be ideal for up to around 175hp, but thats it. great idea though man, thanks

Here's a pic of the mopar 3.5 and 4 speed auto. I wouldn't want to try to figure this thing out, but it has some pics. Looks like it has a custom made intake.

It'll be hard to find a decent one, but you'll want to by a whole running car. Also look at 300M up to 2004.

This was an award winning engine when it came out. Ran mid grade gas and made 250ish HP.

Devin

Supporter
I’m using the Boxster S manual trans…have yet to run it behind my planned ~350-400hp SBF but love that there are no electronics needed and have seen it used by others with more hp than that if it’s not abused/drag raced. Loved it also in my ‘05 Boxster S & 6 spds.

I’m using the Boxster S manual trans…have yet to run it behind my planned ~350-400hp SBF but love that there are no electronics needed and have seen it used by others with more hp than that if it’s not abused/drag raced. Loved it also in my ‘05 Boxster S & 6 spds.
Thanks man, yeah this is my top 2 choices now.

After some really exhaustive research, there just aren't any automatic options that will handle my horsepower and fit my engine bay. So I'm going manual, maybe at some point I'll become a computer magician and make a paddle shifter system.

Bart Roberts

Supporter

Here's a pic of the mopar 3.5 and 4 speed auto. I wouldn't want to try to figure this thing out, but it has some pics. Looks like it has a custom made intake.

It'll be hard to find a decent one, but you'll want to by a whole running car. Also look at 300M up to 2004.

This was an award winning engine when it came out. Ran mid grade gas and made 250ish HP.

I'll second the 42LE from an intrepid/300M. The late 300M is a better one. They had somewhat of a "reputation" but I found most people/shops topped off with the wrong fluid. I built a mid-engine chassis with a LS mated to the 42LE many years ago. I did not run in auto mode, just paddle shifted manual mode and locked up torque converter in 4th. It's a simple 5v actuated solenoid bank. There were some decent upgrades at one time like heavy duty clutch packs and an LSD for the Prowler which ran the same transaxle but in the rear with a torque tube. Anyway, my customer was looking for a toy and limited use of his left leg so did not want a clutch. I have pics on an old hard drive somewhere. I think I did this when 300m were still being produced so close to 20 years ago. Ouch I'm getting old....

I'll second the 42LE from an intrepid/300M. The late 300M is a better one. They had somewhat of a "reputation" but I found most people/shops topped off with the wrong fluid. I built a mid-engine chassis with a LS mated to the 42LE many years ago. I did not run in auto mode, just paddle shifted manual mode and locked up torque converter in 4th. It's a simple 5v actuated solenoid bank. There were some decent upgrades at one time like heavy duty clutch packs and an LSD for the Prowler which ran the same transaxle but in the rear with a torque tube. Anyway, my customer was looking for a toy and limited use of his left leg so did not want a clutch. I have pics on an old hard drive somewhere. I think I did this when 300m were still being produced so close to 20 years ago. Ouch I'm getting old....
Interesting. That sounds like an interesting application. I'll admit, I haven't found a ton of info on the interwebs about this. I might need to do some more digging.
Are there any particular years that the 42LE or a particular model of it that you recommend?
What kind of torque /hp do they comfortably handle? If you were running it on an LS, must be relatively stout. I'm not planning on drag racing or tracking the car, but still want it to have some good get-up n' go.
Curious...the prowler ran it from the rear?..so I wonder if I could find some linkage for the shifter from that.
Very interesting. I'd love to hear anything else you can think of about this. I appreciate it.

Back