This years insurance :o

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Just had my new renewal come through - 60% increase :(.
Only other option is to have a tracker fitted :eek:. - works out at 50p a mile. Feels like I am being shafted - and no - I am not 23 and live in the middle of London...

Anyone else in the UK seeing this huge price hike?

Just had my new renewal come through - 60% increase :(.
Only other option is to have a tracker fitted :eek:. - works out at 50p a mile. Feels like I am being shafted - and no - I am not 23 and live in the middle of London...

Anyone else in the UK seeing this huge price hike?

Hi Richard,
Mine went up by about 6% which under current circumstances I thought was OK.
Who are you with?
I am with Classic Line and they seem to be offering good deals at the moment.
They also include track day cover if event is organised by the club.
Paul

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
The 60% hike was with Footman James and the Insistence on a tracker was with AF.

will see what Classic have to say. over £800 for 1500 miles seems like taking the proverbial.

I heard Peter James, the James of Footman James sold out about 18 months ago which might have something to do with it, my (classic) bike insurance also went up appreciably, only trouble is they were still the cheapest. :(

It was a bit late for me but (after I'd renewed) I was suggested to try Peter James, you might want to try for car insurance too, I think its Peter James Insurance - The Way It Should Be!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
its a device to "track" the position of the car.

I take it the purpose is for post-theft recovery? Interesting because in the US we have "Lo-Jack" for many $hundreds for which you get a pittance in discount from your insurance company.

We also have GPS "tracking" of your driving habits for the purpose of reducing liability insurance premiums. That makes sense on a GT40.

In the UK they are now talking about low cost insurance for young guys if they put a special tracker in the car. If the insured goes 30mph over the speed limit the insurance is imediately invalid :worried::worried:
Big brother or what? Where will it end?

Why do you Brits put up with this Big Brother crap? A tracker on your car to track your driving patterns? Seriously? Same thing for your speed cameras situation.

Maybe you can get a discount on your homeowners insurance if you agree to put a webcam in your bedroom.....

Hi and apologies for the thread drift,

Young lad where my son works has just passed his test, 17 years old £1000 car £4500 insurance for 3rd party with a couple of hundred pounds off for fitting a tracker.

Having witnessed a no win no fee barrister discussing their £20 000 charges if they won when their client drove into me, (luckily they lost) I believe I know where a lot of the blame lies.

This evil technology is coming to the USA. Progressive Insurance is the first carrier to try it. Check out this link from their homepage, including a sales pitch video that is hilarious for its obvious deception. If you believe even a fraction of the claims about this 'benign' service, I've got a bridge to sell you!

How It Works: Snapshot Discount, Usage-Based Insurance

Of COURSE insurance companies invest millions in new technology to monitor your driving habits, SOLELY to be able to then save you money (and reduce their profits). SURE they do! :shifty:

The blame for this whole technology and societal shift can be blamed squarely on the British. If there were a few more publicly spirited citizens out there burning down speed cameras etc., the English public wouldn't have become so inured to oppressive monitoring etc. that they're willing to let their fellow citizens get shafted as per the original post. Churchill must be spinning in his grave.

What England needs is a bunch of really smart high-school kids that can use GPS technology to calculate supposed 'safe' driving habits in real-time and transmit that data back out, regardless of the car's actual performance at the moment. Now THAT would be a return to the Jolly Old England of yore! :thumbsup:

Mike

Keith

Our 'smart' teenagers usually spend their time hacking the FBI and the NSA..

This GPS/Insurance thing is new here too. They'll squeeze the pips until they squeak like they always do. You think we're expensive? Try France...

That's why I drive a 20 year old vehicle with zero electronics which ain't worth shit. It's an extension of my personality and insurance is £250.00 per annum all in. It's also one of a kind, does 25 mpg and nobody would ever think of stealing it.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Why do you Brits put up with this Big Brother crap? A tracker on your car to track your driving patterns? Seriously? Same thing for your speed cameras situation.

Maybe you can get a discount on your homeowners insurance if you agree to put a webcam in your bedroom.....

It is nothing to do with tracking your driving. It's a case if finding the motor if it is stolen....
It appears it is the norm for any vehicle valued at more than £40K.

Mind you, I am still bemused by Adrian Flux' comment of " you do realise that most kit/replica vehicles are valued at less then £10K?" since when has a '40 been worth less than £10K????

Because for some it's the only way to get insured (at a reasonable price)

No it's not. We get insured in the US here for very reasonable prices, and no tracker needed. You've just given in to the nannyists so now you're stuck with their overreaching bs. Here we pick up a gun and put a stop to that real quick.

It is nothing to do with tracking your driving. It's a case if finding the motor if it is stolen....
It appears it is the norm for any vehicle valued at more than £40K.

Mind you, I am still bemused by Adrian Flux' comment of " you do realise that most kit/replica vehicles are valued at less then £10K?" since when has a '40 been worth less than £10K????

Not true. It's all about tracking your driving patterns.

OK Keith I'll bite.....what is it you drive if I might ask? Morris Minor 1000, perhaps a Reliant 3 wheeler van ala Dell Boy? :shy:

Regarding the topic at hand each year at the Amelia Island Concours I speak to Ford Heacock of Heacock Classic Car Insurance. I thank him for allowing me to be able to drive my car without the sting of horrendous insurance rates. I pay a small amount in comparison to those being quoted in this thread. Lets face it guys if the insurance company's raise the rates to silly levels many of us will have to reconsider our desires to own and drive these cars.

Cliff,
Its not about tracking your patterns, but you are right, they are starting to offer this now in the UK and have a quite a few trials.

The tracker is about being able to trace the car and remotely disable it in the event of it being stolen. Of course, the flaw in this is that it doesn't work, if they drive it into a container...

Back