Asiana crash insights

I'd have to say I believe it is regrettable to engage in needless comedy style banter towards a particular culture when ours is not much better. Does anyone remember the Bud Holland “culture” of airmanship? Much of that type of activity still exists in our industry today. Just sayin.

Steve

Supporter
I'd have to say I believe it is regrettable to engage in needless comedy style banter towards a particular culture when ours is not much better. Does anyone remember the Bud Holland “culture” of airmanship? Much of that type of activity still exists in our industry today. Just sayin.

I beg to differ. Our culture is way too sensitive and this heightened sensitivity is both paralyzing and crushing us. Sure, the names are a cultural parody but so what. If it is done to be cruel, dehumanizing or to be inflammatory in a way to incite violence that's different. This does none of those (although I must admit the TV news that published it is even funnier partly because it highlights the incompetence of media in an effort to be first).

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Dang Mike....... Thanks for your input and that comment from your friend, knowing you and what you do I will comment you can fly me any day anywhere

I beg to differ. Our culture is way too sensitive and this heightened sensitivity is both paralyzing and crushing us. Sure, the names are a cultural parody but so what. If it is done to be cruel, dehumanizing or to be inflammatory in a way to incite violence that's different. This does none of those (although I must admit the TV news that published it is even funnier partly because it highlights the incompetence of media in an effort to be first).

So, you wouldn't say this is somewhat of a national embarrassment – to broadcast this as responsible journalism?

KTVU Channel 2 SFO Asiana Flight 214 Pilot Names messed up!! - YouTube

I agree we live in a hyper-sensitive society, but I don’t think having fun at the expense of dead children is funny. Nor is it humorous to me that we poke fun at aviation professionals when we can learn from their mistakes – trust me, we’ve already had the reinforcement training as a direct result of this mishap. I’ll just say I’m embarrassed for those of you who feel that way and leave it at that.

But, everyone is entitled to an opinion and what's funny to some may not be to others.

Keith

So, you wouldn't say this is somewhat of a national embarrassment – to broadcast this as responsible journalism?

KTVU Channel 2 SFO Asiana Flight 214 Pilot Names messed up!! - YouTube

I agree we live in a hyper-sensitive society, but I don’t think having fun at the expense of dead children is funny. Nor is it humorous to me that we poke fun at aviation professionals when we can learn from their mistakes – trust me, we’ve already had the reinforcement training as a direct result of this mishap. I’ll just say I’m embarrassed for those of you who feel that way and leave it at that.

But, everyone is entitled to an opinion and what's funny to some may not be to others.

Your interpretation of unfunny & poor taste parallels my own Doug and I think you were right to post it. The 'rescue' truck driver who accidentally ran over one of the tragic Chinese teenagers who had been ejected out of the tail and virtually finished her off, is still probably chortling about those hysterically amusing Asian names...

I flew a Southwest airlines flight into Oakland today. I made a remark to one of the flight attendants as I got off about how "long is good". She said that she almost commented after the landing "at least we made it over the seawall...", but that it was probably too soon....

If a relatively 'evolved' human race, cannot laugh in the face of danger, tragedy and humiliation, then I think we may just have our head's up our oh-so civilized arses?

Perhaps it comes down to a persons' ability to know why and at what, he is laughing? In this case, to be cruel, or through a lack of reasoned thought, or a lack of the ability to reason. Alternatively, is it for exactly the fact that one can reason, knows why one is laughing and is able to distiguish between the harsh reality of a terrible situation and the mere parody of one?

It is purely a case of, 'is it too soon?' in my opinion. Our society is way too sensitive. Anyone who could be so extreme as to suggest that a joke about the Crew's names in this incident, indicates the joker is inhumane, or thoughtless toward anyone injured in the incident, is I am afraid, just a little too 'delicate'.

Please all, consider that this could simply be another of my parodical digs at the hyper-left and not my own personal feelings, or lack thereof. However, it could be real? Who knows, who cares? No harm, either real, or imagined, is intended to anyone, by asking the world to toughen up a bit.

Go in peace and spread some fun.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Very philosophical Mark! I totally concur sir, the Poms and the Aussies are known for their dry and cynical sense of humour. Indeed toughen up, laugh because if you don't you will surely cry.;)

Steve

Supporter
I agree Mark. There's nothing in that joke that pokes fun at those who died. That would be in poor taste and absolutely not funny.

I agree with Doug too that it's a national embarrassment that a SF news station broadcast this. As I mentioned, I actually find that even funnier than the joke itself in some respects as it highlights what a bunch of buffoons run our news media. In general, the quality of the news from all of the major networks is an embarrassment, very biased, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Highlighting their incompetence is the best way to facilitate their improvement (or their exit) as they clearly have no intention of improving on their own.

Keith

Well, make the most of it guys. I reckon in the next 25 years Oz will be speaking Mandarin and the UK will be enjoying Sharia with a touch of Romany..

Then the boot will be on the other foot for sure..

By the way. All those stupid names are ersatz Chinese not Korean, so you haven't even got the nationality right.

Whilst people of a certain national persuasion on this site can be forgiven for not knowing where in the hell places are on the globe, there should be no excuse for "Anglos"

And yes, that is exactly how a Muslim woman described people of white European appearance in Sydney (***Australia) the other day.

So, Bruce, how dya like being called an Anglo eh? :laugh:

***Superfluous geographical information especially for people of a certain national persuasion..:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Ok, it isn't a joke I would have made, but I still think it's funny. And most jokes that are funny contain some element of mean, whether we like it or not.

There's a difference between making fun of the pilots, who seem to have been incompetent at the cost of at least three lives and perhaps more, and the passengers, who are (obviously!) blameless. No one here is making fun of the passengers or cabin crew. The flight crew, yes- and I suspect they deserve it.

The fact that the media actually BROADCAST this and didn't stop to verify what the names were (by actually reading them, the idiots) says a lot about the media and their overwhelming desire to be first with everything- even when it's clearly not true, and is clearly made up. They deserve their embarrassment.

And as far as all that politically correct horseshit goes..... it's horseshit.

Keith

Whoa Jim, who is using the term politically correct? I'm the least politically correct person on planet earth.

I just think the "joke" is childish, unoriginal and out of position - is all.

And I said so...

The rest of it, er, lacks moisture... :)

Like I give a fuck anyway?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I agree with Doug too that it's a national embarrassment that a SF news station broadcast this. As I mentioned, I actually find that even funnier than the joke itself in some respects as it highlights what a bunch of buffoons run our news media. In general, the quality of the news from all of the major networks is an embarrassment, very biased, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Highlighting their incompetence is the best way to facilitate their improvement (or their exit) as they clearly have no intention of improving on their own.
An unverified post by Jammin Man

The fact that the media actually BROADCAST this and didn't stop to verify what the names were (by actually reading them, the idiots) says a lot about the media and their overwhelming desire to be first with everything- even when it's clearly not true, and is clearly made up. They deserve their embarrassment.
An unverified post by Posted by Jimbo

"The National Transportation Safety Board apologizes for inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed as those of the pilots of Asiana flight 214, which crashed at San Francisco International Airport on July 6," the NTSB said in a statement.

Apparently KTVU, the local Fox station did confirm the names, I think this one falls at the feet of the NTSB.

Its kind of odd that I find myself defending Fox News........................

Last edited:

Steve

Supporter
"The National Transportation Safety Board apologizes for inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed as those of the pilots of Asiana flight 214, which crashed at San Francisco International Airport on July 6," the NTSB said in a statement.

Apparently KTVU, the local Fox station did confirm the names, I think this one falls at the feet of the NTSB.

Its kind of odd that I find myself defending Fox News........................[/QUOTE]

A government office made such a boneheaded error? Shocking. That being said, my 7yo daughter saw the names and said "Uh, Dad, that doesn't sound right...." (Fortunately Mr. Fuk's name went over her head) so it is reasonable to expect more from the so-called media.

It does make you wonder if there's some 23 yo "dude" working at the NTSB as an intern who just happened to pick up the phone when the secretary was away and KTVU calls in...... and still hasn't stopped laughing.

Back