930 R&P Needed - 4.22

Ron Earp

Admin
I need a good 4.22 gear for a 930 box. The box we have in the Lola works very well, but, the 5.12 R&P ratio is a bit too short for our tastes. Apparently I have the "rare" R&P preferred for racing. Yay. Go figure.

Anyhow, I need a 4.22 that is in good condition that isn't $800-$900, which is what the Porsche outfits are quoting or you find listed on Ebay. Any leads would be appreciated.

Ron

Ron,
Maybe you might be better off trading a Porsche guy for another box with the stock 4.22 ratio (his trans plus cash for the rare ratio)? If the stock ratios are right for you at least you would not have to through the trans to swap the R&P, unless the box needs to be freshened or a limited slip added.
Just a thought.............
Dave

Ron Earp

Admin
Good thought but our box is newly rebuilt, has an LSD, has the trans cooler additions and fittings, and is in nice working shape. So, not looking to swap boxes, just need the R&P.

Porsche people are funny. Have to be different and list R&Ps like 9/38, which is a 4.22 ratio. Can't say 3.88, or 4.22, or 5.12, oh no, that'd be too common like a Ferd or Chebby.

Start shopping around for Porsche/ZF/etc. bits and you'll see real quick there is a need for a box like Jac Mac cites that uses good old standard bits that don't cost a fortune.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ron - I'll reach out to a pal of mine that has a good deal of 930 parts..

Will PM if there's a connection opportunity there for you..

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron - I'll reach out to a pal of mine that has a good deal of 930 parts..

Will PM if there's a connection opportunity there for you..

Thanks Randy, that would be great.

We could extend the RPM upward by another 1000 RPM but that is going to need a couple of changes to the motor. Right now we love the motor - ample power and feels 100% unstressed as it could do the job for 13 hours straight.

Ron, should you get in a bind for the 4.22, give Erik Johnson a call. He's pretty good finding things and very helpful.

Jack

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks for the help Randy.

Still drives me crazy the way the Porsche groupies do their gears. Not only on the final drive, but on the gears themselves - 31/11, and so on. Just write the dang number out and be done with it. Quick now, what are the gear ratios of a close ratio Toploader? 2.32, 1.69, 1.29, 1.0, easy. Tooth count? Got no clue.

Ron--you've perfectly highlighted the difference between data and information.

The standard gear ratio nomenclature tells you something meaningful. When the engine turns so many times, the output of the gearbox turns so many times. That's information.

The Porsche dorks just tell you how many teeth are on the damn gears. That's data. Totally useless!

Thanks for the help Randy.

Still drives me crazy the way the Porsche groupies do their gears. Not only on the final drive, but on the gears themselves - 31/11, and so on. Just write the dang number out and be done with it. Quick now, what are the gear ratios of a close ratio Toploader? 2.32, 1.69, 1.29, 1.0, easy. Tooth count? Got no clue.

Someone has to compute the ratio from the tooth count in order to write it down so that you could memorize/copy it & post those numbers, more a sad indication of how you 'modern technology aided' folk cannot work anything out from scratch anymore.:)

Ron Earp

Admin
Someone has to compute the ratio from the tooth count in order to write it down so that you could memorize/copy it & post those numbers, more a sad indication of how you 'modern technology aided' folk cannot work anything out from scratch anymore.:)

Now of course we can all perform the simply arithmetic to get the needed information. But why remember two numbers when you can use the final value as one number? I think the Porsche folks just like to be different for different sake.

Eggs plus flour plus sugar plus butter plus labor equals a cake.

Now, if presented with a plate of eggs plus flour plus sugar plus butter, or a plate of cake, which would you prefer? :laugh:

Eggs plus flour plus sugar plus butter plus labor equals a cake.

Now, if presented with a plate of eggs plus flour plus sugar plus butter, or a plate of cake, which would you prefer? :laugh:

Have the hens from which the eggs come from & can 'see' the stuff they eat, know the farmer that grew the grain from which the flour was made, will have to take a punt on the sugar, & can make my own butter at a pinch, & have recipes from which to bake the cake on the coal stove when the power goes off, but like you I will probably be lazy & go to the supermart to buy the cake that will never taste as good as the ones mum or grandma used to make & like you I will try not to think of the battery fed hens from where they probably got the eggs, the foreign back alley where they sourced the flour, the cheap bulk rate sugar or the butter with god knows what in the way of additives..... enjoy your cake n coffee....:shrug:....you are what you eat:)

Back