Where do you go from a ’40?

I’ve had mine for 7 years and still enjoy owning it just as much as I did when I first bought it. I work long hours and have a young family so tend to take holiday from work to drive it. Inevitably, I suppose, it’s mainly used for track days and I drive it to the track and back home again afterwards.

BUT – I’m “getting an itch” for something else and I’m not sure what!

Over the last two or three years I’ve passengered in a full race Porsche 993 RS(R?) and Dodge Viper, supercharged Exige, Prosport 3000, track-prepared E-type Jaguar, Lynx D-type, original Lister-Chevrolet plus many more I’ve forgotten about now.

For different reasons and to varying degrees, I’ve always been left somewhat “cold” by each of them in comparison to my GTD40.

It’s not about the outright speed – but more about the whole driving experience and “feel” of the thing. For example, the E-type was one of the slowest cars but the way it went round Goodwood, nose up, tail down, with a good dose of oversteer, was a memory I’ll always treasure.

At the other end of the speed scale, the Prosport showed ferocious corner speed – extraordinary grip from the aero, flat cornering with smooth breakaway and all accompanied by a noise that literally left my ears ringing.

If it came to the crunch, though, I’m not sure I’d have either in place of the ’40.

So – I thought I’d start a thread:

“Where do you go from a 40?” – Discuss……….

Charles

Hi Charles

As a tribute to the 1969 Le Mans (the best GT race ever) my next car would be the 908 Porsche, finished second behind the GT40 with just 30 yards between them but then went on to win the sports car championship in 1969.

If the 908 had not experienced brake problems in the 1969 Le Mans it would have won.

regards

Chris.

Attachments

• DSC00985.JPG
    DSC00985.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 794
  • 0211ec_porsche10.jpg
    0211ec_porsche10.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 798
  • porsche 908 front view.jpg
    porsche 908 front view.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 811
Charles, with the imminent demise of the GTD club , and the proliferation of GTDs for sale at the moment, now is perhaps the wrong time to think of selling if you want a decent return. But, if you want shattering performance for limited budget then you should consider a motorcycle engined lightweight single seater, magic performance on a budget.

Chris is on my wavelength.
The 908 would be a perfect accompanyment to the GT40 in my opinion.
I've also always been partial to the Ferrari 512S along with Lola T70, Porsche 917 and Chevron B8 and B16.

Out of that Era, maybe a Lancia Stratos or dare I say McLaren F1.

Dreaming...

After selling my KVA last year, I now have a Noble M12 GT0 3.
It has been breathed on a bit, and has over 400 bhp, and weighs under 1000kgs and this makes it very exciting to drive. As a 2 year old car, costing well under £30k, it was also cheaper than most of the 40's on the market.

My 40 certainly wasn't the best, so it is rather unfair to compare it to the Noble, and I'm sure that some of the better 40's out there might be as good as the Noble, so I'm certainly not saying that 'Nobles are better than 40's' - just that MY Noble is better as a car to drive than MY 40 was!

I do agree with Charles's point though, that there is something special about driving a 40, which isn't repeated in other cars, however good they are.

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't ventured onto the track with it yet, partly orders from the boss! , and partly due to other commitments following a house move, but I will do it soon!

Charles, with the imminent demise of the GTD club , and the proliferation of GTDs for sale at the moment, now is perhaps the wrong time to think of selling if you want a decent return. But, if you want shattering performance for limited budget then you should consider a motorcycle engined lightweight single seater, magic performance on a budget.

Hmmm - let me put the records straight here....

Whilst I gave notice of resignation as magazine editor last year, I did promise to complete one last issue and to date have not really received enough content to do so. I will endevour to complete it very shortly but even this weeks 'vacation' has now turned into me working 4 days and then off to festival of Speed to photograph for Fri/Sat/Sun... so hardly a vacation.

We do fortunately have another willing and eager editor to take my place and I only hope that he will get more support in provision of material to include than I have had recently... I will certainly be writing for him...:)

Of course, had I not spent last Monday at Goodwood at your request Frank, photographing the 'Wealdon-SPF', I could perhaps have put the mag to rest then... my apologies to club members for not doing so and I will complete now asap....

I notice too that you are promoting the m/c single-seater formula now, does this indicate that Wealden will be developing parts for them too now? as a very lucrative business has evolved from your membership of the GTD40 Club - perhaps another string for your bow?....

Rest assured that the GTD40 Car Club will continue to exist for some time to come - As with most clubs, they have highs and lows and in my experience, what they can offer to members is directly proportional to the efforts and input provided by its own membership... food for thought...

(Should these comments be considered to be childish or sarcastic in any manner - please note they are my personal opinions and not related to the club's committee in any way - sanity and normal service will be resumed shortly)...;)

think is a very very hard question.
the "magic inside" the gt40 is something hitting hearts in the deepest way an object can do.
All agree modern cars are generally better under every point of view...but almost all the "after" cars..can become too extreme (kmon guys..a streetable 917K..LOL...also I deeply love that, but cant really see it parked outside the supermarket:D ).

I personally think the gt40 is a definitive car, if u decide to change...means something is u is probably changed too.

For what about me...if I will ever have a gt..I think i will never sell it(if not for a newer gt40 replica..)
is already hard when I sell 1/43 ones...no idea for a real one.;)

Re: Where do you go from a ’40?

I must admit what we say surely is very subjective.There will be much better(newer) cars on the the road then a GT 40.But to me the forty has more then magic.The looks and the sound are really hard to beat.As I am just back from the drivers parade in Le Mans with the forty it is unbelievable how the crowd still after all these years react to the forties.There sure were much more excotic cars on the parade but with much lesser attention.So the dilemma for me will be what after the GT40 and as long I don't know this why should I change.Don't misunderstand me because I love a lot other cars too but you can't get them all if you don't have an oil well.Emiel

Howard Jones

Supporter
The grave. Betty has a no-cut, lifetime contract.

The thing is these cars have a place in history that is understood by so many people that they may be impossible to replace. The fact that GT40's can be run legally on the street and that they have the history of a world renound racecar makes them so much different than just about any other car that I can think of. They are really the last of a breed.

When I show up a track event I'm always struck by the attention my car gets. Even when there are many MUCH faster cars in attendence. This happens everywhere I go.

So whats next..... I really want a track only car. If I hit the lotto then a old GP car. Otherwise I'll continue to try and figure out how to do one of Rob's P-cars.

Last edited:
If you really love the GT40 then there is no place else to go. Its interesting to hear people talk about a car being "better" than a 40. Depends on the criteria. If by better you mean faster (round a twisty), handling limits which are easier to access, less fuel, more comfort, total reliability, good sound system then buy a porsche GT3.

If by better you mean a charismatic icon, stunning proportions, more power than even a well fettled chassis can handle, total driver involvement needed if your going to push then the 40 is king.

I readily concede that there may be other cars you could love, but for me the basic equation remains the same as for the 40 and would result in cars ranging from the DBR1 Aston, Ferrari GTO, Lindner Nocker ally E type to Porsche917 popping into my garage from time to time. Oh, aint dreamin' great fun. Charles, good idea for a thread.

John :)

Last edited:
It is a very rare race car that can be set up to drive everyday and not lose it's race car essence. My CAV is as close to a race car as I have ever had(for the street), it has working A/C, rides nice and is comfortable for long trips. It does not have any overheating or driveability issues and still will get around the race course pretty well. Improvements can be made to make it weather resistant and to lower the interior noise level without taking away it's race car image and heritage. Very few cars that started off as racers(not converted from production vehicles) will treat you so well and still retain enough brutal performance to retain your interest.
On the other hand a T70 or a Daytona coupe might be nearly as cool.
The only reason we are having this discussion is because GT40's are becoming almost common place!
True aficionados don't want a car that is available to the masses to the extent that Cobras have become or the way the GT40 is going.
GT40's are getting too easy to acquire and get on the road and those who really like to struggle and overcome poor design and lack of support will now be forced to move to a different, more obscure marque to regain notoriety and satisfaction.
IMHO
Dave

Malcolm

Supporter
Clearly there is a big bias to GT40s and replicas here. And it is easy to see why. But Charles and I have been having this discussion for a while now off the forum and we still haven't got any closer to an answer.

From my perspective a 40 on the road is really dangerous as it is so competant and fast and the traffic round here is ludicrously heavy. You are forever on the brakes pulling up and there is no flow to a drive out and about. But that is not the cars fault. Put me on a race track and I feel so much safer. Others I know are the complete opposite. But now I have my Prosport, the 40 on a track is a barge by comparison. But my GTD 40 still gives me a great experience, the noise, the smells, the view out the windscreen. And that is a replica. It can still beat up many a more modern supercar in lap times. I have been fortunate enough to have been in original cars too and that experience is as above but even more so, if you get my drift. The Prosport gives as good in all these regards, just in a totally different way. It just doesn't have the history or following.

But to try and choose one car to do all things is so difficult. You can't have a Lola T70, P4, 917 as a car you can just jump in and drive to a trackday and back home again afterwards as Charles does in his 40. And you can't just grab an everyday road car and track it all the time.

The nearest you can get to this eternal compromise is a Porsche GT3. But some trackdays are getting to be Porsche GT3 benefit gigs. Fab cars and do the business every time day in and day out. But a bit dull in the soul department compared to a 40.

I have known a number of GTD owners who have sold their 40 and bought other exotica. Only one has not looked back and wished he still had his GTD. I count myself lucky that I do not need to sell my car even if I chose to not use it all the time. Right now I enjoy my Prosport a lot and it is taking me to higher planes in my driving. Long may that continue, but then I guess I will have to start a thread "Where do you go from a Prosport?" Group C?

Personally, I would go in this direction...

a Vanwall with a V12.

Mike

Attachments

• Driving_Top.jpg
    Driving_Top.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 705
  • Vanwall_023_Harmer_small.jpg
    Vanwall_023_Harmer_small.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 684
CHARLES: Recently delivered "one-off" RCR LOLA is spectacular and easily slide up and around GT40 on street and track. A collectors DREAM!!!!

Attachments

• RCR pic outdoors.jpg
    RCR pic outdoors.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 657
  • New Car Me alone.jpg
    New Car Me alone.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 642
  • New Car in shop Cherry corner back.jpg
    New Car in shop Cherry corner back.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 637
Back