Where do you go from a ’40?

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Charles,
I have pondered this question myself. It is a difficult one indeed. Heck, why try to find better than the hottest girl in school...eh?

I like to stretch myself in challenge or complexity with each successive build and to have an ever increasing "coolness" factor to each. So, I too don't know where to go from here. I guess another GT40....:D

250LM

...just need to find that spare 600g's...... must be somewhere here under my couch I think........

Or a 917 (close second! OH YEA.)

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Charles, you mention that something is "missing" and Malcolm's assessment of British public roads is an incite into how all public roads are heading - too slow, too much traffic, too many idiots on the road and for a low car like the forty it's too dangerous.
So my left field suggestion is to build a 2 seater kit plane, high wing - low wing or go a powered chute, a gyrocopter or some other flying conveyance. The air will never be as congested as the roads, there are some brilliant aero engines that are very reliable and the experience would not be compared to your GTD as it would be totally different. As far as safety is concerned, the fixed wing type have ballistic parachutes too that not only save you but the aircraft as well in an unlikely scenario. Also, you can achieve all this with an LSA(light sports aircraft) license that is much cheaper than a GA license.
Food for thought..:D

Bill

As a past owner/builder of a gyrocopter I can attest to the fact that it is probably one of the most amazing experiences to fly one. This was a Bensen original with drone engine. What a blast that was.

I am now building a kit plane, (2 seat low wing) and it is a test of my persistence.

Mike

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Next is my own design Serial-Diesel Hybrid
-then-
Lola T70-MK3B
-then-
RCR Superlight Coupe

Oh - by the way - they all STAY!!! :)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Charles, you mention that something is "missing" and Malcolm's assessment of British public roads is an incite into how all public roads are heading - too slow, too much traffic, too many idiots on the road and for a low car like the forty it's too dangerous.
So my left field suggestion is to build a 2 seater kit plane, high wing - low wing or go a powered chute, a gyrocopter or some other flying conveyance. The air will never be as congested as the roads, there are some brilliant aero engines that are very reliable and the experience would not be compared to your GTD as it would be totally different. As far as safety is concerned, the fixed wing type have ballistic parachutes too that not only save you but the aircraft as well in an unlikely scenario. Also, you can achieve all this with an LSA(light sports aircraft) license that is much cheaper than a GA license.
Food for thought..:D

Bill

Bill. IMHO I think you will find the flying experience nowhere near the adrenalin rush a 40 will give you.
Now hang on all you propeller jocks before you flame me.

I had a private Pilot licence in my youth with aerobatic ratings on Chipmunk, Tiger Moth and Victor Airtourer along with ratings on Cessna's and Pipers.
Once you get more than a couple of hundred feet off the deck the sensation of speed leaves and all else is precision and navigation.
A great way to get from one place to the next but nothing like travelling in a supercar.
Yes I still enjoy flying but it is a different experience altogether.

Urs

Supporter
hello pete
i think flying aerobatics in a plane on unlimited competition level, you have also a great adrenalin rush! I dont know how it is to drive a gt40:( But flying in a formula 1 like aerobatic plane with 350hp engine is really a great experience .
I m flying with the Votec351 you find it on youtube.It s also a kit to build.
Hey Charles i think you should try a aerobatic flight and you will see it s also nice !!
I m searching someone who takes me on a ride with a gt40 and i would take him with the aerobatic plane for some figures.;) Where do you live charles??

sorry for my english

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I have no doubt that at that level you would, I was talking about general aviation, not competitive aero's or pylon racing. I don't think Bill was either.
If you ever get to Australia I take you up on your offer. Your English is fine by the way.

Urs

Supporter
thank you for your offer!! When i ever get to australia i call you;)
I looked for a tornado gt40 built in switzerland 20 minutes from me.it was the first gt40 that i saw in natura i took some pictures but it was forbidden to sit in because it was to difficult to show ,how to sit in.
Now i try to plan the build of my own gt.But there will be much questions and a long way.
Your car is also very very nice.

I think your next step would be designing and building your Bespoke-one off sportscar, just like Jim Glickenhaus did with his Ferrari P4/5.

You could set your own design parameters, and create your dream sportscar.....but at the end it boils down to, the type of experience you want out of this new car, and the amount of money needed, to get what you want.

It doesn't have to be an exotic sportscar, you could have fun with with almost anything, but you need to define closely, the type of experience you're after or want, in your next car.

Like the comment in an earlier post, when you've had the best, where can you go?,........ it can only be sideways or in a different direction..

I would choose a different direction...........:)

Ciao
Italo

If the 908 had not experienced brake problems in the 1969 Le Mans it would have won.

regards

Chris.

If Jacky Ickx had not been gently strolling along to his GT40 at the start of the race the 908 wouldn`t have come into striking distance...we´ll never know.
908 is a great car, nevertheless.

Best,
Marcus

Chris Duncan

Supporter
For me the GT40 is the pinnacle. I spent over 6 years so at this point I'm done with building.

...but...

if I had a 2nd lifetime, or a couple of clones,... or unlimited cash,

it would be (all kit cars)

a Diablo

31.jpg

an RCR Superlite Coupe

rcr_coupe_3_fs.jpg

or a Factory Five GTM Supercar w/LS7
IMG_3203.jpg

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Oh, almost forgot, The SSC Ultimate Aero TT, knocking on the Veyron's door for the top speed record with Twin turbo V8, 1183 HP, 2750 lbs. dry. At a 10th of the cost. Don't know if it's available as a kit though, so that would take 1/2 the fun out of it.

bwhite-profile.jpg

vid of Nevada speed run

SSC Autos - Home of the Ultimate Aero

Charles,

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it!

The GT40 is the last great race car that could be driven on the street. It is, therefore, the end of the road. There simply is nothing beyond.

But you can try moving in a different direction, and you have several great suggestions already--planes, open wheel cars, motorcycles...but here is another thought: Instead of going to a track day with a fast/fancy car, you should try really close racing in a semi-disposable car. It isn't the speed, but the competition that provides the thrills.

Garrett

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
You clearly hit a nerve with your initial post, Charles. :)

If it isn't a 40, then without question vintage racing in a Formula 5000. That's just a big ol Formula Ford with a few minor tweak to the brakes and wings and horsepower, right?

T.

Back